Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Craig Foote <cr...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/21 18:53:06 UTC

p2 update site has odd references

I mirrored to our internal network your update site at
http://directory.apache.org/studio/update/2.x and attempted to install
it into my eclipse IDE but got errors stating (to effect) "nexicom.net
cannot be reached". This is true as our internal network doesn't
access the internet by design.

I've been mirroring update sites for our internal use for years and
have never seen an artifacts- or content.xml referencing another site.
Can this be removed? I'd rather not have to use your standalone
version when an integration into our IDE should be possible.

Thanks,
Craig Foote

Re: p2 update site has odd references

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 11/21/2013 07:52 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> This is weird. I suspect that nexicom.net is an apache mirror and that we
> need to dowload some external plugin.

That's correct, the update site [1] is created using the Apache
mirrors.cgi script and chooses a random/nearby mirror that is used for
downloading the real artifacts. This is a requirement from Apache infra
in order to distribute the load.

Possible solutions:
- Host your own site.xml in your internal network that points to an
allowed mirror [2]
- Mirror an Apache mirror directly, choose one from [2]. However the
site.xml is currently not distributed to the mirrors. But I think that
is something we can solve, please create a Jira if we should try that.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://directory.apache.org/studio/update/2.x/site.xml
[2] https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi