Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2010/11/04 22:13:59 UTC

Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Getting the feeling calling the bundle Tomtom is a disadvantage.  Hadn't realized how incredible popular the Tomtom GPS tech was in Europe.  There's really no way to google it or monitor it on twitter without getting a ton of results related to the GPS.  I've seen a fair number of people say they dislike the name -- course they say so in unflattering ways :)

Have been thinking about what a better name would be and finally had a thought that wasn't terrible.

Thinking Tomee might be fun (pronounced like Tommy).  Basically short for Tomcat EE.

Thoughts?

-David

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Good catch!
+1

Jean-Louis

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
+1 on TomEE

Also, I am currently (when ever time permits) trying to merge MyFaces
and OWB into it...
That's even more EE

-Matthias

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Jean-Louis MONTEIRO
<je...@atosorigin.com> wrote:

> Interesting post from Adam
> http://www.adam-bien.com/roller/abien/entry/tomcat_on_steroids_with_ejb
>
> Jean-Louis

Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

Re: Renaming the OpenEJB/Tomcat bundle

Posted by Jean-Louis MONTEIRO <je...@atosorigin.com>.
Interesting post from Adam

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
I like it. I did like TomTom as well, but was a bit wary about the name
clash.

Jon

Posted by Thiago Veronezi <th...@veronezi.org>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Gurkan Erdogdu <gu...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> David when we started SIwpas, OpenEJB/Tomcat integration was not the  right
> project for us to contribute. Becuase it needs lots of  customization and also
> trimming of  the features like Web Services,  Connectors , JMS etc. Moreover, at
> that time OpenEJB/Tomcat integration  was not so active project as today. For
> example, OpenEJB/Tomcat still  does not support Tomcat 7. Working with that type
> of project consumes  lots of time becuase of patching, waiting for accepting,
> etc....
>
> When you are not a committer of the project, it is not easy to patch  everthing
> and continue to next. While we write SIwpas, we patch other  projects like
> OpenEJB, MyFaces, Tomcat, OpenWebBeans etc. It means that  we did not just get
> OpenEJB/Tomcat integration and started forking.  SIwpas contains lots of new
> things. It has passed OpenWebBeans Web  Profile TCK, and we will start to
> certify it as a Java EE Web Profile  Container. SIwpas Web 2.0 administration
> console is on the way also.
>

> Anyway, I understood your points but I ensure that you also understand  my
> points....
>
> Just my 2 cents

This seems easy to fix.  If you're passionate about the success of the
project and are willing to do those things here, I don't see any
reason you couldn't be a committer right now.

As you point out we could use the help.

Dain was the most recent to take the Tomcat code under his wing and
really took it a level further than its previous version.  It would be
great to have you in there pushing it to the next level.

There's plenty of room for more ideas and hands!

-David

Posted by dblevins <da...@visi.com>.
Why not just help out?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.