Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Jim Bethancourt <ji...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/18 21:08:53 UTC

Terracotta Maven plugin(s), anyone?

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in developing a Maven 2 plugin
/ plugins that would allow for developers to apply Terracotta bytecode
enhancement to their Java code through Maven.  I've only worked through the
Terracotta DSO tutorial, but it seems like a Maven plugin would make a lot
of sense to automate the bytecode enhancement through the Maven build life
cycle.  I can email the Terracotta folks and ask them if they would be able
to post the Terracotta files on Ibiblio since Maven 2.0.5 now supports
different licenses.

I've dabbled in plugin authoring before as well, but I don't know exactly
what all it would entail in this case.

Please write back and let me know
1) If you would find the plugin useful
and/or
2) If you would be interested in helping develop such a plugin

Thanks,
Jim

Re: [m2] [mojo-dev] Re: Terracotta Maven plugin(s), anyone?

Posted by Eric-Ellis <ee...@terracottatech.com>.
Hi Jim,

Just wanna let you guys know that Jason (he'll respond to the dev list)
should be your point of contact with Terracotta Dev. He's in charge of our
build system and is familiar with the 5000 some odd lines of Ruby code.
Also, so we don't get too much heat for it, I did set up Ivy to download our
3rd party libraries from Ibiblio's Maven repo; though the naming conventions
with Ivy are so strict that we had to host most of the stuff on our own
download site.

Briefly, our current architecture consists of JRuby scrips accessing ANT
tags through a Java API called LeafCutter. As I said before, we would
greatly appreciate your help with writing and integrating a new system. It
will certainly be faster, cleaner, more usable, and integrated with Eclipse.
Who could ask for more.

I'll spare you the details of how the existing system came to be. Try to
have a sense of humor about it. :)

Also, don't worry about uploading Jars and having a space to work. Jason can
post files to the download site for you right away and you'll be able to
create a branch using our svn repo.

Feel free to contact me as well.

Posted by Jim Bethancourt <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Bethancourt <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric-Ellis <ee...@terracottatech.com>.
[...]

the contributor learning curve and the type of technical advice, related to

Posted by Jim Bethancourt <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jim Bethancourt <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Eric-Ellis <ee...@terracottatech.com>.

Posted by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jim,

Posted by Scott Ryan <sr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Scott Ryan <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: [m2] Terracotta Maven plugin(s), anyone?

Posted by Eugene Kuleshov <eu...@md.pp.ru>.

Jim Bethancourt-2 wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone would be interested in developing a Maven 2
> plugin
> / plugins that would allow for developers to apply Terracotta bytecode
> enhancement to their Java code through Maven.  I've only worked through
> the
> Terracotta DSO tutorial, but it seems like a Maven plugin would make a lot
> of sense to automate the bytecode enhancement through the Maven build life
> cycle.  I can email the Terracotta folks and ask them if they would be
> able
> to post the Terracotta files on Ibiblio since Maven 2.0.5 now supports
> different licenses.

  Unfortunately it is not how Terracotta DSO works now.

  Currently there is no tools for compile-time instrumentation and all
classes are instrumented at the load time. Such instrumentation is turned on
using few -Xbootclasspath/p: and some system properties. That basically
allows you to launch your tests with Terracotta runtime, as long as you
start them in a separate vm.

  regards,
  Eugene Kuleshov
  Terracotta