Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Greg Stark <gs...@electrorent.com> on 2005/08/31 01:27:09 UTC

Using Adobe Asian Font Pack in FOP without embedding

fop-users,
I am using the Apache FOP 0.20.5 project on Solaris SunOS 5.9.  I need
explicit instructions on how to configure and generate PDF documents that
use the Adobe Asian Font Pack.  In particular the Simplified Chinese set of
fonts.  Where do I put these fonts on the Solaris system, let XML-FO know
there available, and reference them in my document.fo.  (I ask this because
I have not figured out how the base-14 are identified...)

I have created PDF documents using XML-FO with embedded fonts, so I know
about generating and specifying the font and metrics in the userconfig.xml
file.  I would now like to do the same without having to embed the font.  My
users are using the Chinese version of Adobe Reader; hence my thinking that
it will have the Adobe Asian Font set installed (like the Basic 14 fonts.)

Another driving factor for doing this is to create a PDF that is editable by
my Chinese users.  Presently they cannot edit the PDF using Adobe Pro
(Chinese version.)  The TouchUp Properties shows "Permissions: No system
font available", even though the font file I used has been installed in
their system font list.

Adobe Asian Font Pack
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrasianfontsysreqs.html#simplified

I appreciate your time and help.
Thank you very much.

Greg Stark <gstark at electrorent dot com>

Re: Using Adobe Asian Font Pack in FOP without embedding

Posted by Luis Ferro <lf...@teladigital.pt>.

Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> I've never come across this error message. It may have something to do
> with a bug in the PDF library in 0.20.5 which is fixed in FOP Trunk.

This error appears to me with embed fonts (ansi so all glyphs are embed) and
Acrobat Pro 7. [thrunk as of starting of august 2006]

Cheers
LF

Re: Using Adobe Asian Font Pack in FOP without embedding

Posted by Luis Ferro <lf...@teladigital.pt>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
On 31.08.2005 01:27:09 Greg Stark wrote:
> fop-users,
> I am using the Apache FOP 0.20.5 project on Solaris SunOS 5.9.  I need
> explicit instructions on how to configure and generate PDF documents that
> use the Adobe Asian Font Pack.  In particular the Simplified Chinese set of
> fonts.  Where do I put these fonts on the Solaris system, let XML-FO know
> there available, and reference them in my document.fo.  (I ask this because
> I have not figured out how the base-14 are identified...)
>
> I have created PDF documents using XML-FO with embedded fonts, so I know
> about generating and specifying the font and metrics in the userconfig.xml
> file.  I would now like to do the same without having to embed the font.  My
> users are using the Chinese version of Adobe Reader; hence my thinking that
> it will have the Adobe Asian Font set installed (like the Basic 14 fonts.)

This is simply not implemented, yet. Somebody has to do that. But better
do this in FOP Trunk, not based on the old code. There are things
happening in the font department to remove the necessity for font metric
files. This should be coordinated.

> Another driving factor for doing this is to create a PDF that is editable by
> my Chinese users.  Presently they cannot edit the PDF using Adobe Pro
> (Chinese version.)  The TouchUp Properties shows "Permissions: No system
> font available", even though the font file I used has been installed in
> their system font list.

I've never come across this error message. It may have something to do
with a bug in the PDF library in 0.20.5 which is fixed in FOP Trunk.

In the end, you're pretty much out of luck for the moment with FOP
0.20.5. But have a close eye on what's happening on the redesigned FOP.
And if the above is an important feature for you, help us implement it.

> Adobe Asian Font Pack
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrasianfontsysreqs.html#simplified
>
> I appreciate your time and help.
> Thank you very much.
>
> Greg Stark <gstark at electrorent dot com>

Jeremias Maerki