Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Jitendra Nath Pandey <ji...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2009/11/24 03:36:08 UTC

HDFS-758 in Hadoop-21 , Updates to Namenode health page

Re: HDFS-758 in Hadoop-21 , Updates to Namenode health page

Posted by Jitendra Nath Pandey <ji...@yahoo-inc.com>.
 We have had several issues with decommissioning in recent past.
Decommissioning takes long time and operations guys have no means to find
out what is taking so long. This is a change in the namenode web UI that
will greatly help hadoop users to monitor the status of decommissioning and
to discover cause of 'long tails' in decommissioning.
   Brian Bockelman's comment on the jira (HDFS-758) confirms that 'long
tails' in decommissioning have been a problem not only at Yahoo but also for
other hadoop users.
   Therefore, this feature seems to be significant enough to be backported
to 21 so that it is available for our users sooner rather than later.
  We have backported this change to yahoo distribution of hadoop-20 as well.

Thanks
jitendra

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.
-1

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Douglas <cd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Allen Wittenauer
<aw...@linkedin.com> wrote:
> On 12/7/09 2:00 PM, "Sanjay Radia" <sr...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>> Allen raises a good point that the rest of the community may  not need
>> some of the features that Yahoo finds useful internally.
>
> FWIW, I have no real issues with the change itself. I'm much more concerned
> that a UI enhancement was deemed so critical. So important was this
> enhancement that it required a vote for back porting after feature freeze.

I see this differently. The UI enhancement isn't critical, so it
requires a vote. If it were critical, it would simply be committed. As
0.21 is tested, if it is discovered that some features are unusable
but not broken, then voting on whether the feature is important enough
to merit a fix is a reasonable, if imperfect process. I hope that all
those experimenting with 0.21 consider correctness and usability of
new features; if a particular feature is awkward enough to merit a
patch, then we'll do this again, and consider the risk/reward as a
community.

I respectfully, but emphatically disagree with the assertion that
forking our UI and administration tools would be positive for the
project, but the point is outside the scope of this thread.

> Meanwhile, other fixes and changes that do not impact Yahoo! for which
> patches have existed for a long time, sit there idle, uncommitted.

I'm not sure which issues you're referring to, but if the fixes and
changes are for 0.22, then holding off on those while 0.21 settles
seems consistent with the priority you identified earlier, i.e.
releasing 0.21. If there are patches you want to see in this release
that remain uncommitted, it would help to know which ones are in that
set.

> It makes me wonder what the priorities truly are.  What does feature freeze
> actually mean?

The priority has always been a stable, usable 0.21. Feature freeze
means that the bar for new features/improvements to core is raised for
all the obvious reasons, and where it's not clear: the community
discusses it. -C

Re: HDFS-758 in Hadoop-21 , Updates to Namenode health page

Posted by Eli Collins <el...@cloudera.com>.
On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:00 PM, Sanjay Radia <sr...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Allen Wittenauer wrote:
>

>>    Then you'll have no issues patching other things in 0.21 that are
>> actual
>> bug fixes that also meet this criteria, right?  Or does this only apply to
>> things that Yahoo! is hitting/deemed worthy?
>>

> Allen raises a good point that the rest of the community may  not need some
> of the features that Yahoo
> finds useful internally. It may clutter Hadoop unnecessarily.
> Most of these admin GUI improvements are pluggable.
> Perhaps this particular  plugin did not even need to go into trunk. It
> could have been made available as a separate downloadable or
> contrib module. This way folks can use it across releases and only if they
> need it.
>
> Further, there are a few new GUI improvements in the hadoop community that
> are proprietary - we should make it easier to create new admin plugins
> easily. This way users  can create new plugins that are useful to them
> internally; it also allows companies to create proprietary plugins for their
> customers.

+1 to administration plugins.

I'm also +1 to HDFS-758 going into 21, would be genuinely useful to several
customers.

Thanks,
Eli

Re: HDFS-758 in Hadoop-21 , Updates to Namenode health page

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.

Posted by Sanjay Radia <sr...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Nov 25, 2009, at 12:46 PM, Allen Wittenauer wrote:

>     Then you'll have no issues patching other things in 0.21 that
> are actual
> bug fixes that also meet this criteria, right?  Or does this only
> apply to
> things that Yahoo! is hitting/deemed worthy?

Allen raises a good point that the rest of the community may  not need
some of the features that Yahoo
finds useful internally. It may clutter Hadoop unnecessarily.
Most of these admin GUI improvements are pluggable.
Perhaps this particular  plugin did not even need to go into trunk. It
could have been made available as a separate downloadable or
contrib module. This way folks can use it across releases and only if
they need it.

Further, there are a few new GUI improvements in the hadoop community
that are proprietary - we should make it easier to create new admin
plugins easily. This way users  can create new plugins that are useful
to them internally; it also allows companies to create proprietary
plugins for their customers.

sanjay

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Looking it the patch it isn't obvious that this port should create any extra
verification effort from the quality standpoint. Thus, it won't delay 0.21
release, IMO.

+1 to back port it.
--
With best regards,
	Konstantin Boudnik (aka Cos)

         Yahoo! Grid Computing
         +1 (408) 349-4049

2CAC 8312 4870 D885 8616  6115 220F 6980 1F27 E622
Attention! Streams of consciousness are disallowed

Posted by "Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze" <s2...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Allen,

I guess the "you" in your questions are referring me.  My answers are yes and no, respectively.

Actually, we could possibly commit the patch to ydist, like what we does for yahoo-hadoop-0.20.  It is not a big difference.

BTW, as a cluster administrator, do you think that HDFS-758 is very useful?  Are there other reasons in your mind against committing it to 0.21?

Nicholas

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@yahoo-inc.com>.
+1
I am in favor of committing this to 0.21 because imo it is
not a new HDFS feature but rather an improvement of web UI.

Allen Wittenauer wrote:
 >     Then you'll have no issues patching other things in 0.21 that are actual
 > bug fixes that also meet this criteria, right?  Or does this only apply to
 > things that Yahoo! is hitting/deemed worthy?

I don't see what is the problem here.
Yahoo! developers detected, fixed and tested the problem, then called for a vote for inclusion.
If others have similar critical problems, they can also fix them and call for a vote.

I might miss some context here, could you please clarify.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Posted by Allen Wittenauer <aw...@linkedin.com>.

Posted by "Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze" <s2...@yahoo.com>.