Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca> on 2008/07/08 19:44:46 UTC

AWL size reduction (was Re: Bayes database clearance)

(Subject changed to match the OP's question, which wasn't actually about
Bayes.)

Jared Hall wrote:
> Try: http://www.deepnet.cx/~kdeugau/spamtools/trim_whitelist
> and customize the script as per your installation.  Hope that
> helps.

FWIW I'm now running this nightly on a pair of systems with a global
AWL, in order to keep it from ballooning to hundreds of megabytes and
bogging down mail processing.

Six years or so after gutting the check_whitelist script from SA ~2.5x
(IIRC) to create trim_whitelist to actually reduce the AWL file size, my
hack is still working.  <g>

On another (much larger) system, I've recently activated a global AWL in
MySQL instead, so adding a column to indicate the time the entry was
added allows me to more easily expire entries.  Searching back through
the list archives for a subject of "Reduce Bayes DB" should turn up the
suggestions I used as reference.

-kgd