Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by micael <ca...@harbornet.com> on 2002/09/15 00:50:47 UTC

JBoss -> Not Embedded (and/or) -> Embedded Tomcat 4.0: configure Context/Host/Etc.

Looking for a JBoss Code swapper.  I am going into JMX.  Read the book,
love the idea.  Glad to see that Tomcat is going that way.

I am thinking that using a non-embedded JBoss might be the way to go, since
I could then, I think, upgrade Tomcat at will, rather than wait for JBoss
to come along.  Any thoughts on that.

Does anyone have a little blurb or reference for how JBoss is set up
(embedded or not) for Tomcat 4+?  There is a lot of smoke but no fire I
could find on this.  Any example code that I could begin with would be
helpful?

Essentially, when I started JBoss 3.0.0. embedded with Tomcat 4.0.3, it all
works great, except I cannot reach a web page.  The URL
http://localhost:8080 gets the following (not surprising) response: "Apache
Tomcat/4.0.3 - HTTP Status 500 - No Context configured to process this
request".  Normally (without JBoss) I would just go to the server.xml and
configure the hosts, contexts, etc.  However, this is not a JBoss
possibility, I suspect.

Just kick me in the right direction.  Do I have to write an MBean to
configure Tomcat?  If so, we'll just do that.  Just don't quite know where
to start.

Re: JBoss -> Not Embedded (and/or) -> Embedded Tomcat 4.0: configure Context/Host/Etc.

Posted by "Peter T. Abplanalp" <pt...@psaconsultants.com>.

* On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:11:22AM -0600, Peter T. Abplanalp wrote:
> * On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 03:50:47PM -0700, micael wrote:
> > I am thinking that using a non-embedded JBoss might be the way to go, since
> > I could then, I think, upgrade Tomcat at will, rather than wait for JBoss
> > to come along.  Any thoughts on that.
>
> i use jboss with embedded tomcat.  i chose this for
> simplicity.  4.1.x tomcat isn't "production" yet so jboss is
> with the times as far as versions are concerned.
>
> > Does anyone have a little blurb or reference for how JBoss is set up
> > (embedded or not) for Tomcat 4+?  There is a lot of smoke but no fire I
> > could find on this.  Any example code that I could begin with would be
> > helpful?
>
> what exactly are you asking for here?
>
> > Essentially, when I started JBoss 3.0.0. embedded with Tomcat 4.0.3, it all
> > works great, except I cannot reach a web page.  The URL
> > http://localhost:8080 gets the following (not surprising) response: "Apache
> > Tomcat/4.0.3 - HTTP Status 500 - No Context configured to process this
> > request".  Normally (without JBoss) I would just go to the server.xml and
> > configure the hosts, contexts, etc.  However, this is not a JBoss
> > possibility, I suspect.
>
> do you have any war's in the deploy directory for jboss?  if
> you have a web app, you can just war it up and stick it in
> the deploy directory and jboss will automagically deploy it.
> the context path will match the name of the war unless
> otherwise specified in the
> ~jboss/server/<whatever>/deploy/tomcat4-service.xml file.

or the deployment descriptor in the war, of course.  :-)

> that is the server.xml file for the embedded tomcat.  for
> example if you have a myapp.war file and put it in ~deploy,
> you can get to the app at http://localhost:8080/myapp.
>
> > Just kick me in the right direction.  Do I have to write an MBean to
> > configure Tomcat?  If so, we'll just do that.  Just don't quite know where
> > to start.
>
> the jboss 3.0 quickstart guide is pretty good.  i think you
> can download it from sourceforge.
>
> --
> Peter Abplanalp
> PGP:     pgp.mit.edu

- --
Peter Abplanalp
PGP:     pgp.mit.edu

RE: JBoss -> Not Embedded (and/or) -> Embedded Tomcat 4.0: configure Context/Host/Etc.

Posted by Per Kreipke <pe...@onclave.com>.
Peter,

Do you think you could turn off the flags that your email program is sending
on _every_ email you send.

Thanks, Per

Re: JBoss -> Not Embedded (and/or) -> Embedded Tomcat 4.0: configure Context/Host/Etc.

Posted by "Peter T. Abplanalp" <pt...@psaconsultants.com>.