Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Gravenhorst <to...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/22 19:46:15 UTC

Connector Installation

Greetings from a new guy...

I have Tomcat 5.5 running under FC3.  I would like to
install and configure the mod_jk connector, but I'm
finding the documentation somewhat unclear.

I know tomcat is working because I can display the
samples via port 8080.  The Apache web server is also
installed and it is working on port 80.

In the docs for the connector, it suggests that it is
better to use the precompiled binaries instead of
compiling them from source.  I have no problem with
that and I found the binaries for my platform, they
are:
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.14-linux-sles9-x86_64-prefork.so
and
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.14-linux-sles9-x86_64-worker.so

The docs talk about a "mod_jk.so", which is not what I
have (by name).  Perhaps I'm supposed to rename one of
these files to mod_jk.so ?  If so, which one and what
happens to the other one?  The docs don't mention a
pre-fork module (that I can see).

Thanks for your help,

-- ScottG

Re: Connector Installation - Resolved

Posted by Scott Gravenhorst <to...@yahoo.com>.
This is now resolved.  The problem was that the binary
mod_jk.so I downloaded from the tomcat website did not
work.

I went to USENET forum alt.apache.configuration and
someone there suggested I download the source and
compile it.

While that was not the easiest thing (I had a vanilla
Apache webserver installation - no devel packages) to
do, I was able to compile and install the resulting
file.

My tomcat is now connected to my Apache webserver.

Re: Connector Installation

Posted by Scott Gravenhorst <to...@yahoo.com>.
More stuff.  I found a tutorial (one of the many) and
in that it was said that the prefork .so file is the
one to copy as mod_jk.so to the directory containing
modules.  It also said to set the chmod permissions to
755.  After I added the loadmodule directive to
httpd.conf, I now get an error when starting Apache:

]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 191 of
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/mod_jk.so into server:
/etc/httpd/modules/mod_jk.so: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

What's odd at first is that the directory it's looking
(/etc/httpd/modules) is not where the file is and if I