Posted to dev@beehive.apache.org by "Karr, David" <da...@wamu.net> on 2004/08/17 00:47:18 UTC

Comments and meta-comments about Controls Assembly and Binding in Beehive wiki

I'm very much a wiki newbie, so some of my meta-issues may just be being
uninformed about wikiness.

First of all, is it reasonable to submit comments on wiki content here,
or is there some way that I missed in the wiki interface?

I noticed that sidebar text (TBD, REVIEW, etc.) is not wrapping in my
browser (Firefox 0.9.3), even in the printable view.  I also noticed
that the top of each page that contains the top-level links and icons is
slightly scrozzled, with the icons displaying over some of the text
links.

In section 1.2, "Declaring Controls Usage", it refers to the acronyms
"PI" and "CB".  I don't know what those are.  You should make it clear
what those are.

Also in this section, the TBD asks how this will work for non-Java
clients.  At what level is Beehive supposed to be usable by non-Java
clients?  How can it possibly be more than an RMI/IIOP interface?

Section 1.3, "The Controls Client Manifest", really has a bad smell to
me.  It really seems odd to generate a non-editable properties file.
Nevertheless, in this file, and in the "Implementation Binding"
properties file, I think it might be worthwhile to make the syntax a
little clearer.  When you have a properties file syntax where the keys
"look like" the values, where in this case they both are class names, it
would be worthwhile to make the "key" and/or "value" syntax use a prefix
to differentiate it from the value syntax.  For instance, using a prefix
like "bean." and "impl." for the "key" and "value" syntax, respectively.