Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by rm-ramos <rm...@criticalsoftware.com> on 2008/02/13 19:00:30 UTC

JAX-RS "No service found" using Spring and JBoss

Hi guys,

I'm trying to move from HTTP-Binding RESTful services to the new Java
standard JAX-RS using CXF+Spring, deployed on JBoss.
However I can't seem to make it work due to a "No service found" problem.
I've been trying to get help from multiple sources, including CXF's IRC
channel, but unfortunately there's not so much written about this. I've
tried to base my config in the CXF docs as much as I could, but still no
luck.

So, moving on to the interesting part:

My web.xml contains the CXFServlet declaration, mapped on
	<servlet-mapping>
		<servlet-name>CXFServlet</servlet-name>
		<url-pattern>/services/*</url-pattern>
	</servlet-mapping>

On beans.xml: (not actually how we call it but..)
	<!-- RESTful web services -->
	  <jaxrs:server id="workOrderOperations" address="/rest/">
	    <jaxrs:serviceBeans>
	      <bean class="com.messaging.webservices.WorkOrderOperations" />
	    </jaxrs:serviceBeans>
	  </jaxrs:server>

And on to the implementing class:
    @UriTemplate("/rest/")
    public class WorkOrderOperations {
    (..)
    @HttpMethod("GET")
    @UriTemplate("/wo/{id}/")
    public String getWorkOrder(@UriParam("id") String id){return "it works!
#"+id;}

So, and if I got it right, http://localhost/app-name/services/rest/wo/123
should output a string, but instead a not-so-nice "No service found" message
shows up. And i've tried almost every possible URI, can never find a
service. Is there anything else I'm missing?
I think the CXFServlet is mapped correctly, but I'm not so sure if the
service is being registered somewhere (or where..), so I would really thank
you if you could help me out on this one.
It's been 3 days on this now :\

Thanks,
Rui Ramos

PS. I've already though on sticking with HTTP-Bindings ftm, since I'm
starting to lose hope on this one. What are your thoughts about implementing
a REST service using bindings vs. jaxrs, both present and future
implications?

Re: Servlet.service() for servlet CXFServlet exception

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
Can you make sure you grab the latest 2.1 snapshot and try again?   I
really cannot see how there can possibly be a NullPointerException on
line 93 of ChainInitiationObserver.   The line is just:
        exchange.put(Bus.class, bus);
which could only NPE if exchange is null, but that cannot be as the lines
above it would then NPE.   Thus, I THINK something is out of sync with
our sources which will make debugging this not-easy.   Tracing back
through the history, it looks like it may be picking up a 2.0.3 or older
ChainInitiationObserver class, which would be bad.

The only other thing I can suggest is to enable jpda debugging or similar
and trace through this in jboss and actually trace into that method and
figure out what really is null.

Dan

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA

Re: Servlet.service() for servlet CXFServlet exception

Posted by patinouche <pa...@free.fr>.
Hi

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
Hi

> thanks again for your insights on the matter.

I wish I could be more helpful than just advising you to debug it all yourslef :-)

Have a look in the cxf systests module, you'll find jax-rs system tests there.

Did you try to run your application in a standalone Tomcat ?

Cheers, Sergey

> Hi Sergey, and thanks again for your insights on the matter.
>
> The fact is that is I launch my server from a main() method, using a
> JAXRSServerFactoryBean as described on the cxf's user manual, everything
> runs smoothly and I have no problem accessing the data from a web browser,
> for ex.
>
> Don't think the problem (back to JBoss) is the content-type either, been
> doing some experiments with 'Poster' (the firefox extension) and the results
> haven't been any different.
>
> I couldn't find the sample you talked about,
> BookServerResourceCreatedSpring. Can you please tell me where to find it?
>
> Thanks again,
> Rui Ramos
>

> Hi
>
> It seems to be a lower-level CXF issue, ChainInitiationObserver.java:93
> shows this code in my snapshot :
>
> exchange.put(Bus.class, bus);
>
> which is harmless....Perhaps the fact that a content type is set to null
> causes the problem.
>
> Still it's likely that Endpoint which ChainInitiationObserver deals with has
> not been set up properly...
> Is there any chance you can try to run your server using a simple main(),
> without JBoss involved ?
>
> For ex, have a look at BookServerResourceCreatedSpring. It runs a server
> using a /jaxrs_spring resource folder which has beans.xml,
> so just update it to refer to your web-app folder and try to get resources
> from a browser. It will help narrow the problem.
>
> Cheers, Sergey

----------------------------
Registered Number: 171387

Re: Servlet.service() for servlet CXFServlet exception

Re: JAX-RS "No service found" using Spring and JBoss

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
Hi

I think someone was able to run a JAX-RS HTTPS demo in a tomcat container.
I myself has always been confused about the way CXFServlet matches requests.
Can you please try "/rest" in both the spring config and URLTemplate ?

If you could run your Tomcat in a debugger then it would be ideal in identifying what is
exactly happening. I use http://www.eclipsetotale.com/tomcatPlugin.html in Eclipse,
copy it into eclipse plugins, then launch it from your workspace by pointing it to your
Tomcat installation and have a breakpoint set in a CXF ServletController.

As far as JAX-RS vs HTTP Binding is concerned, JAX-RS is the future so to say :-) because it's going to
be a standard way to do RESTful services inthe Java world...

Cheers, Sergey

> I'm trying to move from HTTP-Binding RESTful services to the new Java
> standard JAX-RS using CXF+Spring, deployed on JBoss.
> However I can't seem to make it work due to a "No service found" problem.
> I've been trying to get help from multiple sources, including CXF's IRC
> channel, but unfortunately there's not so much written about this. I've
> tried to base my config in the CXF docs as much as I could, but still no
> luck.
>

> So, moving on to the interesting part:
>
> My web.xml contains the CXFServlet declaration, mapped on
> <servlet-mapping>
> <servlet-name>CXFServlet</servlet-name>
> <url-pattern>/services/*</url-pattern>
> </servlet-mapping>
>
> On beans.xml: (not actually how we call it but..)
> <!-- RESTful web services -->
>   <jaxrs:server id="workOrderOperations" address="/rest/">
>     <jaxrs:serviceBeans>
>       <bean class="com.messaging.webservices.WorkOrderOperations" />
>     </jaxrs:serviceBeans>
>   </jaxrs:server>
>
> And on to the implementing class:
>    @UriTemplate("/rest/")
>    public class WorkOrderOperations {
>    (..)
>    @HttpMethod("GET")
>    @UriTemplate("/wo/{id}/")
>    public String getWorkOrder(@UriParam("id") String id){return "it works!
> #"+id;}
>

> So, and if I got it right, http://localhost/app-name/services/rest/wo/123
> should output a string, but instead a not-so-nice "No service found" message
> shows up. And i've tried almost every possible URI, can never find a
> service. Is there anything else I'm missing?
> I think the CXFServlet is mapped correctly, but I'm not so sure if the
> service is being registered somewhere (or where..), so I would really thank
> you if you could help me out on this one.
> It's been 3 days on this now :\
>
> Thanks,
> Rui Ramos
>
> PS. I've already though on sticking with HTTP-Bindings ftm, since I'm
> starting to lose hope on this one. What are your thoughts about implementing
> a REST service using bindings vs. jaxrs, both present and future
> implications?

Registered Number: 171387