Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu> on 2011/03/04 22:47:08 UTC

Successful stories with Apache Traffic Server

Regards to all the list.
Can you give some links, papers, etc, where is showed the success of the
use of Apache Traffic Server?

Thanks a lot for your time.

--
 Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
 Software Engineer

Re: Successful stories with Apache Traffic Server

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.
> So, that's the main reason for my question:
> - Benefits of Apache Traffic Server for heavy load sites
> - Companies that are powered by Apache Traffic Server
> - Advanced Apache Traffic Configuration for this kind of sites
> - and any case of Apache Traffic customization

One of the companies running ATS, of course, is Yahoo!, for
kinds of purposes: http://developer.yahoo.com/blogs/ydn/posts/2010/10/yahoo-mail-beta/

Now to the other questions: I think major benefit of ATS
is that it delivers the promised performance out of the
box -- there's no need for "advanced" configuration tweaks
to get the same benchmark results as everyone else is
getting, all you need is the hardware. Once you need to
deliver more than 90K QPS, we'll talk :)

Finally, to customization: There's Plugins, you can write.
Despite the fact that Traffic Server is written in C++,
it has a clean C API, which can be used from pretty much
anything, i.e.: Python+ctypes (I wish I could find the
examples right now..). We're also working on integrating
Lua - whether as configuration language or as  programming
language or both remains to be seen.

>  Marcos Luís Ortíz Valmaseda
>  Software Engineer
>  Centro de Tecnologías de Gestión de Datos (DATEC)
>  Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas
>  http://uncubanitolinuxero.blogspot.com
>  http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org

Re: Successful stories with Apache Traffic Server

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.
On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 14:41 -0800, Billy Vierra wrote:
> NetDNA has had it rolled out for some time now without issue. We use
> it in a non clustered mode and it works great. While I cannot give out
> direct numbers, we have it on a number of servers, most pushing over
> 1Gbps. The average load on the boxes are much lower than when we were
> doing the same thing with Nginx.
> ----
> Billy Vierra
> Senior System Engineer
> NetDNA™
> The Science of Acceleration™
>
> Email: bvierra@netdna.com
> P: 1.877.5-NETDNA (563-8362) ext 260
> F: 1.323.417.4995
>
> Follow Us
> Web: http://www.NetDNA.com
> Blog: http://blog.netdna.com
> Twitter @NetDNACDN
>

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 2:38 PM, Jason Giedymin <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Have you tried installing Apache Traffic Server locally and comparing how it performs with your current system?
> >
> > Has tratado intstalar Apache Traffic Server para ver como funciona a lo que se refiere a la velocidad?
> >
> > - Jason
> >
> > On Mar 4, 2011, at 4:47 PM, Marcos Ortiz wrote:
> >
> >> Universidad de las Ciencias Informáticas

A good number of our servers are using Nginx and Varnish, and we have
from one of my colleagues that he was using Apache Traffic Server in
front of its Apache servers.

Posted by Billy Vierra <bv...@netdna.com>.

Posted by Jason Giedymin <ja...@gmail.com>.
Should work. I would also keep in mind that a good test be done via real paths from two machines (try not using loop back).

I think Leif had run some tests, and posted the results on his site.

Check it out: http://www.ogre.com/node/364

- J

Posted by Marcos Ortiz <ml...@uci.cu>.

Posted by Jason Giedymin <ja...@gmail.com>.