Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2005/08/23 01:23:36 UTC

[all] Comparing versions using SVN

OK. Maybe because its late I'm being stupid. But I can't seem to compare
HEAD to a tag in SVN (in Eclipse subclipse).

(I don't want this to be an SVN rant, but so far for me SVN has done
well on the new features, but failed the basics)

Also, does anyone know if the jdiff or clirr maven tasks work with SVN.
jdiff doesn't seem to on a quick try, I haven't dug yet.

(After all, how would it know where to find the tag if the tags
directory could be anywhere. Its this aspect of SVN that bothers me most
- a tag is something significant, yet SVN seems to treat it in a
cavalier do what you like way)

Anyway, any help appreciated, otherwise being a release manager seems
like an impossibility if you can't compare two versions.

Stephen

Re: [all] Comparing versions using SVN

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/05, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> OK. Maybe because its late I'm being stupid. But I can't seem to compare
> HEAD to a tag in SVN (in Eclipse subclipse).

Sorry, I've never used subclipse, but from the command line it would
be something like (picking a completely random example ;):

svn diff https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/fileupload/tags/FILEUPLOAD_1_0/project.xml
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/fileupload/trunk/project.xml

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 8/22/05, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> OK. Maybe because its late I'm being stupid. But I can't seem to compare
> HEAD to a tag in SVN (in Eclipse subclipse).
>
> (I don't want this to be an SVN rant, but so far for me SVN has done
> well on the new features, but failed the basics)
>
> Also, does anyone know if the jdiff or clirr maven tasks work with SVN.
> jdiff doesn't seem to on a quick try, I haven't dug yet.

The latest release version of the maven jdiff plugin only works with
cvs.  The plugin code in svn trunk has been patched to work with svn,
but it has not been released yet.  If you download and install the svn
trunk version, it will work.

I have never gotten the maven clirr plugin to work.  I run clirr
against jars using the command line:
java -jar ~/clirr-core-0.4/clirr-core-0.4-uber.jar -o $1 -n $2
where $1 is the old jar and $2 is the new jar.

> (After all, how would it know where to find the tag if the tags
> directory could be anywhere.

The scm plugin and the patched jdiff plugin use the properties
pom.repository.connection, maven.scm.svn.tagBase and the tag name to
locate the tag.

Phil