Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2013/12/11 20:09:31 UTC

PixelBender and Builds.a.o

Thanks to Maurice, we have a pretty good idea of why Jenkins on builds.a.o
is not able to build the Flex SDK.  Unfortunately, it isn't clear that
infra knows how to fix it or can fix it given how they want to run that
server.

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get access to the PB compiler source, but
one person I talked to said that Alchemy-based shaders will outperform PB
shaders.  So, one potential way to solve this problem is to replace our
shaders with Alchemy shaders.  I have no idea how hard that would be.
Anybody think they can do it quickly?

Another option, which is a variant of what Maurice was proposing yesterday
is that we quickly create an official release package that contains just
the PBK files.  Then the corresponding convenience binary package would
have the PBJ files.  We call this an upstream package that only is
supported on Mac and Win.  We would not use CI for this release.

Then we adjust the SDK build to use this upstream package.  This is make
more official the workaround we are using for Linux and bring Linux up to
par with Mac and Win.  Yes, the installer has to change as well, but
hopefully I'll have new installer capability ready shortly anyway that
should make it easier for us to make these changes.

Thoughts?
-Alex

RE: PixelBender and Builds.a.o

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
This problem, aka "Session 0 Isolation", appeared with Windows XP.
Unfortunately, there is no simple workaround to access the GPU, without rewriting the .exe file.

Other software have the same issue ( gpu-accelerated databases, etc...)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463353.aspx + click on the "download" button

google for "Session 0 isolation".

Regards,

Maurice

De : Erik de Bruin [mailto:erik@ixsoftware.nl] Envoyé : mercredi 11 décembre 2013 20:21 À : dev@flex.apache.org Objet : Re: PixelBender and Builds.a.o

Your solution sounds good, and I like the "bring Linux up to par" part.

What I still can't figure out is why the builds stopped working suddenly a week ago, with Gavin maintaining he never changed a thing.
Well, I guess it doesn't really matter. I hope Om gets his VM online soon, so we can leave build@a.o behind us and maintain all aspects of our CI ourselves.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

RE: PixelBender and Builds.a.o

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
Erik,

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: PixelBender and Builds.a.o

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
I'm not sure if it is worth more time to find out why it stopped working.
It could be the server was not running as a service until a recent reboot,
or some recent upgrade of Jenkins broke the option that should have
allowed the service to use a window.

But if we are going to abandon builds.a.o forever, then should we still go
through all of this just to bring Linux up to par?

-Alex

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: PixelBender and Builds.a.o

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/13 11:25 AM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks to Maurice, we have a pretty good idea of why Jenkins on
> >>builds.a.o
> >> is not able to build the Flex SDK.  Unfortunately, it isn't clear that
> >> infra knows how to fix it or can fix it given how they want to run that
> >> server.
> >>

> >I will give Gavin a day or so and then ping him again.  I think we should
> >be able to get a fix for this soon.
> Well, if he wants to run Jenkins as a service, is there really a fix?  I'm
> thinking that we should change our packaging so he doesn't have to deal
> with this.

If he does not want to fix it, then we don't have a choice.  But he hasn't
said no yet.
But +1 for figuring out workarounds instead of just waiting.

> >> Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get access to the PB compiler source, but
> >> one person I talked to said that Alchemy-based shaders will outperform
> >>PB
> >> shaders.  So, one potential way to solve this problem is to replace our
> >> shaders with Alchemy shaders.  I have no idea how hard that would be.
> >> Anybody think they can do it quickly?
> >>

> >It should be possible, but that quickly removes FP 10.2, 10.3 and AIR
> >2.6,27 from the supported runtimes list.  Alchemy/FlasCC is supported only
> >FP 11.0/AIR 3.0 and up [1].  Is this something we want to do?
> >From an enterprise support point of view, keeping support for 10.2 and
> >10.3
> >can only benefit us.    I wouldnt want to give this up for a few shaders.
> OK.
> >

> >> Another option, which is a variant of what Maurice was proposing
> >>yesterday
> >> is that we quickly create an official release package that contains just
> >> the PBK files.  Then the corresponding convenience binary package would
> >> have the PBJ files.  We call this an upstream package that only is
> >> supported on Mac and Win.  We would not use CI for this release.
> >>
> >> Then we adjust the SDK build to use this upstream package.  This is make
> >> more official the workaround we are using for Linux and bring Linux up
> >> par with Mac and Win.  Yes, the installer has to change as well, but
> >> hopefully I'll have new installer capability ready shortly anyway that
> >> should make it easier for us to make these changes.
> >>

> >Works for me.  We have not changed the pbk files forever, yet we keep
> >compiling them everytime and run into issues like these often.  BTW, we
> >already have a job on builds.apache.org that does this [2]
> I assume this job would fail if it ever ran again?

It runs only after a successful build of flex-sdk, so it should be fine.
In any case, it does not matter because the artifacts of the last
successful build is good enough because the source pbk files have not
changed.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

[1] http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/flascc/
[2] https://builds.apache.org/job/flex-sdk_pixelbender/

Re: PixelBender and Builds.a.o

Posted by Tom Chiverton <tc...@extravision.com>.
On 12/12/2013 16:27, Maurice Amsellem wrote:
> What option in 4)  I think a) is the easiest, and it does not break any Apache rule.
But it makes these files even more special than they already are.
The installers job is to fetch dependencies of the SDK and do the right
thing with them, so adding these files as another step seems clearer.

Tom

Re: PixelBender and Builds.a.o

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> I'm still curious as to where it is written down so I don't forget next
> time when I put up FlexJS or Falcon rcs.

I took a look at a few other project in the release area and it's basically all over the place. (There's even some RCs in the dist release area!) The important thing obviously is it must be the the source and binary packages, beyond that it's probably only a nice to have (just like the KEYS, README or RELEASE_NOTES files) so you can read them before having to download the release.

Justin

Re: PixelBender and Builds.a.o

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK.  I added following the pattern I saw in the sdk folder.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/12/13 11:44 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>>> You might want to add a LICENSE file before calling a vote :-)
>> Crap. Which package(s) is it missing from?
>I didn't check the packages (yet), but there's normally one in the SVN
>tree.
I was following

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/12/13 11:25 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>You might want to add a LICENSE file before calling a vote :-)
Crap. Which package(s) is it missing from?  I'm seeing one when I expand
the src.tar.gz and -bin.zip

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
OK, I've pushed the changes for this.  The rc for the pixel bender
packages is at [1]

I'll call for a vote if jenkins starts working and nothing obvious breaks.
 It's almost quitting time for tonight so if there is fallout, I'll have
to deal with it tomorrow.

-Alex

[1] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/pixelbender/rc1/

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
>Another possibility is that we leave the PBK's where they are and simply add new build targets to flex-sdk build script.  That might be simpler and gives us the option of >reverting back to a single package if we find that we can someday.

That sound like a good idea.
I think the build script should be a concatenation of the current pixel_bender_compile (that produces the pbj in place)
and "archive-pbj" target in the main build.xml, that zips the sdk pbjs, in ./out/pb.tar.
Someone would run this script once, then commit the zip file to flex-utilities/pixel_bender, that could be used by other scripts...

WDYT?

Maurice

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 12/12/13 10:08 AM, "Maurice Amsellem" <ma...@systar.com>
wrote:

>>I was going to move (not copy) the pbks out to flex-utilities.  Today we
>>already pull in source from flex-tlf repo when making a release package.
>>I think it will work if I do essentially the same thing for the pbks.
>
>So that means the pbk sources won't be present in the git repo, but only
>in the released source and released binary source.
>And people who want to modify / manually build the sdk will have to
>download them separately from flex-utilies, like they currently do for
>TLF.
>
>Is that correct ?
Yup.  See my other reply.  It might be best to just add new targets to the
SDK build scripts.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
> B) I don't think I understood your 4a, but it doesn't sound like it would meet policy.  No zips are allowed in svn.

I am confused.
 Isn't https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/flex/sdk/4.11.0/rc1/binaries/  an  svn repo?
 And it does contain zip and binaries.

So if svn cannot contain zips, how do we make commit the result of pb compilation ? as plain files ?

My 4a) is more or less your B) =>  "build scripts copy the pbk source from dist into the source package and pbjs from dist into the binary package".
Expect that I retrieve one zip file with internal directory structure (same as the one produced by obsolete pixel_bender Jenkins job) from dist and copy it to binary package, instead of individual flat files.
I don't think this breaks any rule ..

>If you plan to take this on, please let us know
Not at the moment.  I am just trying to detail the steps, in case it needs to be done later (by anyone who want to).
Hoping the infra will fix the current issue...

Maurice

A) we can't auto-commit to dist.  I believe only voted on artifacts can go there.  But realistically, I think we're only going to commit once unless someone find a reason to change the PBK files.

B) I don't think I understood your 4a, but it doesn't sound like it would meet policy.  No zips are allowed in svn.

A binary package is only supposed to additionally contain compiled artifacts of the source package. I'd rather not have to change the installer either right now since I'm working on a major upgrade to it and don't want to add that to the delays to get our CI up and running again.
I think the best short term answer is that the SDK build scripts copy the pbk source from dist into the source package and pbjs from dist into the binary package.  That sort of fudges the tag==package policy but essentially we can show there are already multiple tags in our packages since we pull TLF from its own repo.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.