Posted to users@airflow.apache.org by /dev /local/ca <de...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/13 00:57:45 UTC

Why am I seeing references to MySQL?

I am just getting started with Airflow.

It's been a real pain in the ass to configured, as the documentation is
confusing and misleading.

---
*Question:*

*Why are there references to MySQL in the airflow.cfg?*

$grep mysql airflow.cfg
broker_url = sqla+mysql://airflow:airflow@localhost:3306/airflow
result_backend = db+mysql://airflow:airflow@localhost:3306/airflow

What are these two settings?

Is it safe to comment them out?
What are they for?

I don't have MySQL installed on localhost.  Was this a requirement that was
missed in the documentation?

---
We don't use MySQL in our organization and never will, because:
1. It's not an open source database
2. it's historical hostility and bad acts against open source
3. it's not a relational database, or at best, it's a half ass relational
database where to be truly relational you have to bend over backwards in
configuration and code to get it to work relationally

---
Can someone please reach the dev team to take this crap out?

---
What am I supposed to do with these settings?

Re: Why am I seeing references to MySQL?

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Sorry that you don't like MySQL. I know some people have strong opinions on
it and I share some of your feelings towards it.

But historically we are supporting it and many of our users are using it.
So we have to support it. No way around it.

There is no 'dev' team - this is community driven project. There is a
community of users who are contributing to the code and documentation and
if you have strong feelings about the documentation I strongly encourage
you  to make some corrections to documentation. We are super happy if you
propose some improvements as a Pull Request to make it clearer that MySQL
is optional and answer some of the questions you asked. Documentation PRs
aelre usually processed very quickly.

I will be happy to review it. I think it might be great contribution that
can help others so I hope you can turn your bad feelings towards MySQL into
positive experience for other users.

Looking forward to your contributions !

J.

czw., 13 lut 2020, 06:35 użytkownik Chris Palmer <ch...@crpalmer.com>