Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Zhao, Xin" <xz...@jhmi.edu> on 2006/07/13 21:37:10 UTC

lengthnorm again

Hi,
I am sure this is a question been asked before. :-) I have done some research too, but still don't quite understand. I indexed 20 terms under field name "mesh", and set the boost accordingly from 20 to 1.(just some arbitrary numbers) But when I checked the index from Luke, the boosts all appear to be 1. I saw the pervious post said it is because the boost shows in Luke is the product of index-time boost and lengthnorm. But if it is the case, aren't they supposed to be different instead of value "1"? I guess I still don't fully understand 'lengthnorm".
Thank you,
Xin

Re: lengthnorm again

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On 7/13/06, Zhao, Xin <xz...@jhmi.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am sure this is a question been asked before. :-) I have done some research too, but still don't quite understand. I indexed 20 terms under field name "mesh", and set the boost accordingly from 20 to 1.(just some arbitrary numbers) But when I checked the index from Luke, the boosts all appear to be 1. I saw the pervious post said it is because the boost shows in Luke is the product of index-time boost and lengthnorm. But if it is the case, aren't they supposed to be different instead of value "1"? I guess I still don't fully understand 'lengthnorm".

I can't explain what you are seeing, but it sounds like your
understanding of what it should be is correct.
I guess you are either misinterpreting Luke's output,  not indexing
the docs correctly, or perhaps luke has a bug.
Did you index the terms with different boosts in separate documents?
There is only one norm per document for a specific indexed field.

-Yonik