Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Joaquim Oliveira <jo...@atlantico.com.br> on 2006/02/16 19:07:35 UTC

Problems with merge --ignore-ancestry

Hi all,

I need to merge two source trees beloging to the same project but
developed by different teams in different repositories (non-svn). These
trees can have the same files in the same path, altough the file
contents are not the same (and need to be merged). I tried this:

- created repository default structure (rev 1)
- svn include proj1 to  /repo/trunk (rev 2)
- svn copy proj1 to /repo/branches/proj2-incoming (rev 3)
- changed to another dir and svn checkout /repo/branches/proj2-incoming
- copied proj2 source tree replacing the one in
/repo/branches/proj2-incoming
- svn commit /repo/branches/proj2-incoming (I think it now contains
proj2 source) (rev 4)
- changed to another dir and svn checkout /repo/trunk
- svn merge -r 3:4 --ignore-ancestry
file:///path_to/repo/branches/proj2-incoming

And, altough the --ignore-ancestry was used, the result was that files
existing in the two projects were not merged. The branch's version
replaced the trunk version (as if the --ignore-ancestry was not used and
the merge was made normally). Is this the correct behavior? I know this
is true to the normal merge behavior, but I thought that ignoring the
ancestors the merge result would be the sum of the two files and the
resulting conflicts.

--
Joaquim Oliveira
Analista de Sistemas - Projeto BASA