Posted to openrelevance-user@lucene.apache.org by Ludovico Boratto <lu...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/14 10:32:26 UTC

Re: Calculating a search engine's MAP

Hi everyone,
sorry if I'm bothering you, but I really can't get out of this problem.
I have my search engine developed, but I don't know how to test it.
Let me briefly introduce you how it works...

My algorithm is based on implicit feedbacks. A feedback is collected each
time a user finds a relevant resource during a search in a tagging system.
The algorithm uses the feedback to dynamically strengthen associations
between the resource indicated by the user and the keywords used in the
search string. Keyword-resource associations are used by the algorithm to
rank the results.

I have been looking for ages for a proper dataset that would work with my
algorithm.
I was thinking about using TREC's 2008 Relevance Feedback dataset:
http://trec-relfeed.googlegroups.com/web/Guidelines08?gda=gZ0eUT4AAABtm9akyKg9pgh0qJJTHfy7X57I390rHU2uANbDSEOX3Kddn9WBc2Ae6sNICG8Kz2zjsKXVs-X7bdXZc5buSfmx
As you can see from the document, for each query, one (or more) relevance
feedbacks is given (i.e. one or more relevant results).
The thing is: how can I evaluate the quality of the ranking produced by my
system?
Should I compare it with the ranking produced by another system, like Indri
or Lucene?

I really hope you can help me, I'm stuck with this problem and don't know
how to solve it.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers,
Ludovico

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Jan 14, 2010, at 4:32 AM, Ludovico Boratto wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> sorry if I'm bothering you, but I really can't get out of this problem.

Never a bother, that's what this list is for.

> I have my search engine developed, but I don't know how to test it.
> Let me briefly introduce you how it works...
>
> My algorithm is based on implicit feedbacks. A feedback is collected each time a user finds a relevant resource during a search in a tagging system.
> The algorithm uses the feedback to dynamically strengthen associations between the resource indicated by the user and the keywords used in the search string. Keyword-resource associations are used by the algorithm to rank the results.
>
> I have been looking for ages for a proper dataset that would work with my algorithm.
> I was thinking about using TREC's 2008 Relevance Feedback dataset:
> http://trec-relfeed.googlegroups.com/web/Guidelines08?gda=gZ0eUT4AAABtm9akyKg9pgh0qJJTHfy7X57I390rHU2uANbDSEOX3Kddn9WBc2Ae6sNICG8Kz2zjsKXVs-X7bdXZc5buSfmx
> As you can see from the document, for each query, one (or more) relevance feedbacks is given (i.e. one or more relevant results).
> The thing is: how can I evaluate the quality of the ranking produced by my system?

If you are using a TREC dataset, it should come with judgments and queries.  You submit the queries to your system, get back the results, format them per the TREC guidelines (trec_eval) and then run trec_eval on them.

Cheers,
Grant