Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by dima berastau <db...@openworld.co.uk> on 2001/06/13 22:54:11 UTC

tomcat-3.3-m3 startup problems + some mod_webapp weirdness

 Hi everyone,

 Yes, I know a lot of people have been asking about tomcat startup
problems, but having looked through the archives I haven't found the
problem similar to this one, so I'll annoy all of you once again
(hopefully, nobody minds :)).

 Having built tomcat-3.3-m3 (on Linux 2.2.19/Slackware) - checked out
latest CVS version - without any problems, I get the following errors when
I try to start it up:
Guessed home=/usr/local/java/tomcat
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.start(Tomcat.java:151)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat.execute(Tomcat.java:97)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.IntrospectionUtils.execute
            (IntrospectionUtils.java:87)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Main.execute(Main.java:326)
        at org.apache.tomcat.startup.Main.main(Main.java:189)
 Not particularly informative as far as I am concerned. It certainly isn't
anything obvious like bind/socket connection problems, so I am quite
confused as to exactly what's going on over here. Any insights will be
appreciated.

 Secondly, I've been playing around with plugging Apache1.3.x and
Tomcat-4.0 together using mod_webapp.

 APR seems to compile fine, I've also compiled mod_webapp.so with
-lpthread via APXS - no visible problems there either.

 But when I try to start up apache, these are the errors I get:
[Wed Jun 13 19:13:51 2001] 1997 (pr_info.c:66) INFO provider initialized
[Wed Jun 13 19:13:51 2001] 1997 (pr_warp.c:492) WARP provider initialized
[Wed Jun 13 19:13:51 2001] 1997 (wa_main.c:98) WebApp Library initialized
[Wed Jun 13 19:13:51 2001] 1997 (wa_config.c:163) Created connection
                "warpConnection" (Prov: "warp" Param: "localhost:9001")
Syntax error on line 3 of /usr/local/apache/conf/mod_webapp.conf:
Invalid command 'WebAppMount', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by
                a module not included in the server configuration
 And as far as the server.xml file in tomcat-4.0 is concerned this is
exactly the way it should be spelled. Any hints on this one?

thanks.
dima

Re: tomcat-3.3-m3 startup problems + some mod_webapp weirdness

Posted by Luba Powell <lu...@bellatlantic.net>.
Someone had this problem earlier today.  As in NoClassDefError
NoSuchMethodError occurs at link time.
In earlier case it was incorrect or overshadowed path.  May be that
person will be more specific as which environment variable was
causing the loss of reference to the class