Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Mike Miller <mm...@crusoe.net> on 2001/05/25 21:01:11 UTC

[OT] Re:What the user in user agent means

On Friday, May 25, 2001, Jonathan Hilgeman wrote the
following about "What the user in user agent means"

JH> The whole purpose of web pages is to provide information EASILY to users.
JH> Now, if the user's program refuses to identify itself or allow the correct
JH> information to come in, whether by accident or intentionally, then that
JH> becomes a problem. It's like someone standing outside an unlocked door to a
JH> house they want to get in to, and they're shouting at the people inside,
JH> "Let me in! Let me in!" Seems like most web users are fairly stupid, and we
JH> can't expect them to learn everything. That's why the browsers should allow
JH> the web page programmers to help the users without them having to learn
JH> things.

But who decides what is helping? Are you going to help me by
remembering my purchasing habits, and then informing the
government/other companies, etc. what I am purchasing. Remember E-Toys
and its customer list? Your "help" comment is an example of " .. the
road to hell is paved with good intentions" (yet another old adage ...
<grin>).

Technology issues aside, this is starting to veer way OT ... its
starting to belong on an EFF forum, and not here in mod_perl.

Regards,

Mike Miller
mmiller@crusoe.net