Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by James Patrick Sigmon <jp...@ncsu.edu> on 2011/01/24 20:12:55 UTC

no internet for images

Hey all,

I'm having troubles getting internet access for my images.  I'm currently assigning address statically on a standalone system.  The images can communicate with each other and the management node, but nothing outside of that.  I confirmed with the network guys that the ip addresses I'm using should have internet access, so I assume this must be a VMware setting issue.

This is my first time using VMware Server 2, so I may have slipped up somewhere.  I've tried host-only and bridged networking and neither resolve the issue.  In the past, for VMware Server  1, I used to use Custom and then specified the vmnet.  I'm not sure how this setting transposes over to VMware Server 2.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick Sigmon

Re: no internet for images

Posted by Andy Kurth <an...@ncsu.edu>.
Is this problem happening on Linux images, Windows, or both?  Please
send the vcld.log output and I'll trace through it.

-Andy

Re: no internet for images

Posted by James Patrick Sigmon <jp...@ncsu.edu>.
Hey Josh,

Re: no internet for images

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

You can ping the default gateway from the vms, but cannot get beyond that to
the rest of the internet?

Josh

On Wednesday January 26, 2011, James Patrick Sigmon wrote:
> Hey Andy,
>
> I am able to ping the default gateway.  I also made all the name changes to
> match as you described, however, I'm still unable to get Internet access
> on my vms.  Aside from the network guys telling me an unintentional fib,
> is there some other possible reason for this issue?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick
>
> On Jan 25, 2011, at 1:57 PM, Andy Kurth wrote:
> > The network type should be bridged.  I'd remove host-only and NAT if you
> > have them enabled for simplicity.
> >
> > How are the Virtual Switch 1 & 2 values configured in the VM profile? On
> > the Summary page for the VMware host, what is listed under the Name
> > column under Networks?  For VMware Server 2.x, the defaults are usually
> > "Bridged" and "Bridged (2)".  Configure your VCL VM profile values to
> > match the values in the Name column, not the VMnet column.
> >
> > Also, check the subnet mask and default gateway being assigned to your
> > images.  Can you ping the default gateway?
> >
> > -Andy
> >
> > On 1/24/2011 2:12 PM, James Patrick Sigmon wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I'm having troubles getting internet access for my images.  I'm
> >> currently assigning address statically on a standalone system.  The
> >> images can communicate with each other and the management node, but
> >> nothing outside of that.  I confirmed with the network guys that the ip
> >> addresses I'm using should have internet access, so I assume this must
> >> be a VMware setting issue.
> >>
> >> This is my first time using VMware Server 2, so I may have slipped up
> >> somewhere.  I've tried host-only and bridged networking and neither
> >> resolve the issue.  In the past, for VMware Server  1, I used to use
> >> Custom and then specified the vmnet.  I'm not sure how this setting
> >> transposes over to VMware Server 2.
> >>
> >> Any ideas are appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Patrick Sigmon