Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2016/08/08 19:31:43 UTC

Re: Towards graduation?

What do others on the PPMC think?

     Andy

Re: Towards graduation?

Posted by GaleN <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.
Apologies @Ian, I have added you to the permissions.

Gale

Re: Towards graduation?

Posted by GaleN <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.
Apologies

Re: Towards graduation?

Posted by Ian Dunlop <ia...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Re: Towards graduation?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 13/08/16 19:33, Gale Naylor wrote:
> Is there a typical or accepted method for making sure the code (including
> dependencies) is licence-clean?

A release :-)

The RAT plugin does some checking (all files have the ASF header), and
greping for phrases for other license is effective.

JS, because you end up shipping it's source, needs checking.

For java dependencies I don't know of a better way that "mvn
dependency:tree" and manual checking.

	Andy

Re: Towards graduation?

Posted by Gale Naylor <Ga...@noventussolutions.com>.

Re: Towards graduation?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Re: Towards graduation?

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I'm just recovering the email backlog after vacation!

Agree that we are in a fair state to graduate (even if we are not a
particularly fast or big Apache project) - I am not sure the incubator
can teach us much more at this point, as we seem to be getting to
grips with both governance, community building and IP/licensing
review, and we had to chase additional reviewers to get our release
candidates through the incubator PMC.

It would be ideal to have the Server and Workbench released as well -
but I agree with Ian that should not be a blocker for graduation.

Thilina and Edi have both had a look at code updates for the
Workbench, and while these have helped progressed its state, it is not
quite there yet; mainly in terms of updates to Taverna 3 Engine API to
have it in a cleanly buildable state (which we need for it to be
releasable).  Much of the ungrateful work remaining there is that of
build maintenance (e.g. editing pom.xml and Spring configurations)
rather than adding features or fixing bugs - perhaps this is something
we lack a bit of skills or motivations for.  :-(

I guess our challenge on that is that I think now we don't really have
any full time equivalent person dedicated to the project (except the
GSOC students) - but that would be the case for many open source
projects. For myself the time available for Taverna has been shrinking
a bit this spring, and recently I've focused mainly on the excellent
contributions by the students, thanks all of you!  I guess I should do
like a day a month looking at evil pom.xml files as well. :)

So how about just let's get cracking on the graduation form [1] and
then we can progress towards holding a Graduation [VOTE]? Shoaib
mentioned to me today that he would like to have a look as well. I had
a go at the first section.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TAVERNADEV/2016-03+Taverna+Graduation+Maturity+Assessment

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes