Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Koes, Derrick" <De...@Smith-Nephew.com> on 2002/08/13 15:40:40 UTC

RE: Can authentication to webapps be controlled by Apache HTTPD s erve r rather than tomcat?

The auth seems to work through apache with this setting, but tomcat still
gives me the 403 error page.

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Make sure that you don't have any <security-constraint> stuff set up in
your web.xml for your app.  You either need to handle everything at the
Apache level or let everything drop through to the Tomcat level.  I know of
no way to do both at the same time.

Also, is Apache serving up the 403 error or is Tomcat?  The auth should
*always* work through Apache whether you have tomcatAuthentication="false"
on the ajp13 connector or not.  The only thing that parameter controls is
whether request.getRemoteUser() returns the value that Apache forwards onto
tomcat or null (if tomcatAuthentication="true" which is the default).

Jake