Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bagus <ba...@cox.net> on 2005/01/29 22:58:23 UTC

configure: error: Unsupported operating system "freebsd5.3"

Hi there,

Any idea why I might get that error on running configure from my $CATALINA_HOME/bin/jsvc_src/ directory? I'm a newbie and this is my first Jakarta-tomcat installation. This is the first step I've taken since getting my jdk1.4.2 running on my new FreeBSD 5.3 box.

It's like this:
[root][/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.4/bin/jsvc-src]: ./configure
*** Current host ***
checking build system type... i386-unknown-freebsd5.3
checking host system type... i386-unknown-freebsd5.3
checking cached host system type... ok
*** C-Language compilation tools ***
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
*** Java compilation tools ***
checking for javac... /usr/local/jdk1.4.2/bin/javac
checking wether the Java compiler (/usr/local/jdk1.4.2/bin/javac) works... yes
checking for jar... /usr/local/jdk1.4.2/bin/jar
*** Host support ***
checking C flags dependant on host system type... failed
configure: error: Unsupported operating system "freebsd5.3"

Hmm... I guess I'm not even sure if I should be running Jakarta as a daemon as the first page of the set up recommends. http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/setup.html
Do I need to do that configuration at all?

I noticed this page doesn't have the jsvc stuff:
http://www.coreservlets.com/Apache-Tomcat-Tutorial/#Introduction

Ok, and while I'm chiefly concerned with why I get the error message mentioned in the subject, I'm beginning to see that I'm in deeper than I thought:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/appdev/installation.html
Says I have to have Ant and a bunch of other stuff in place before I can have a jsp page that can query my mysql database.  Is this true? If this is the case, what does a standalone jakarta-tomcat installation get you?

Also, just wondering, why come isn't there a single installation system that sets all of this up for me? Ant, Jakarta, Struts, Cocoon, etc. I'm a little overwhelmed... but determined.

Thanks,

Bagus