Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/29 17:11:41 UTC

Cleanup Math

Math module clearly doesn't conform to the style guidelines. Does it
make sense to go and clean it entirely or should we do it for the ones
we use, when we use it?

Robin

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 2:14 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hey, I objected too!

See!  I knew the micro-vote market would never sustain epsilon-valued prices
for long!  But the SEC can pry that beer from my cold dead hands, I say!

  -jake

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Hey, I objected too!

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 1:01 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jake,
>
> How about I buy you a beer to convert you to a +0?
>
> (yes, this is a bribe)

An entire beer for but a two-epsilon change in my vote?  That's a pretty
high
BeerPerVote ratio, I better grab that before the market sees how inflated it
is.

I'm actually in mountain view right now, BTW!

  -jake

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Jake,

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
We've been through it before: making massive formatting
changes can:

  a) break patches.  Biggest reason, not the case here.
But the point is that it sets (grr, continues) a precedent:
what if someone was on vacation and not reading emails,
and we all said, "I'm not touching that module, go ahead
and reformat", and because they were away for the 3-day
period in which the discussion happened, their patches
are totally trashed.  And don't say this is a "one time
thing", because if we decide to change some rule later,
some of the current code may be "in violation" of the
new rule, or if we adopt another project, the first step
is always: see if it works first, then worry about
formatting later.

 b) screw up svn modification history and IDE support
of showing diffs, which trying to track down who changed
something, it basically suddenly becomes "Robin/Sean
did!" as the answer to every file.

And frankly, I just hate having people (even not-me people!)
running around just autoformatting stuff for the sake of it.
It makes it the opposite of "easy and fun" for me.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
I found, as you will recall, a certain number of surprises in the
collections subset.

You might say that we collectively took out a loan at the credibility
bank by incorporating this stuff, deprecations or no, and might be
well-advised to try to find time to write tests and repair problems
(or remove dubious stuff altogether).

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Tue Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that this is fine.  Essentially this is a more fine grained
> approach to what we have been doing with deprecated.

+1 from me as well.

The approach also clearly separates stable, but in future versions no
longer supported code (deprecated) from experimental, but in future
versions better supported code. Should make it easier for the user to
decide which pieces of Mahout to use.

Isabel

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I think that this is fine.  Essentially this is a more fine grained approach
to what we have been doing with deprecated.

The real virtue of this is that it promotes visibility of the known good
stuff and thus exerts a good social pressure.

I do think that we need to push for code quality as quickly as is
reasonable, but definitely at the patch level, we should encourage
contributors to post early versions.

Re: Cleanup Math

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On May 30, 2010, at 11:10 AM, Sean Owen wrote:

> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Benson Margulies
> <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I wasn't here when you all picked up Colt, but I wonder if we want to
>> pick a middle ground between carrying around @deprecated code that no
>> one feels like testing and deleting it altogether. Work went into IP
>> clearance and all that. I'd identifying the things that look furthest
>> from useful and moving them to a separate 'attic', from which they
>> could be recovered in case someone found a use for them.
>
> (It is always resurrectable from SVN too.)

A bit harder to find, though.

>> By the way, howcome 'taste' has a BitSet distinct from either the JDK
>> class or the collection BitVector?
>
> Purely for speed and size -- mostly skipping range checks, cutting out
> fields, etc. It mattered enough since it got used so much.

Those are the reasons Lucene has one too!

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I'd say this:

I'll go for it if you can go through all of JIRA and assure me there are little to no issues open against it that need to be fixed.  It's not even necessarily the active ones.  Either that or promise to update/fix them once the reformat is done.

I still, however, think it is pointless unless we have a process in place that automatically reformats every commit, as it is bound to be one of those annoying little things that prevents people from contributing b/c they have to have the formatting just right in order to contribute.

-Grant

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.
This is terrible! I went to sleep on this side of the world and people on
the other side have already bartered votes for beer. For being the reason of
the getting a vote call going by mistake, I object this
reflexive behavior and instead propose for a transitive one.

If we are not going to touch (use, format, delete or make api compatible)
many of these deprecated code. Instead, how about marking stuff as
@deprecated. So that it is clear to new developers reading the code that
those module are not to be examined.

Robin

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 2:35 PM, Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That sounds fine to me.
>
> But I sense there's no particular motivation to ever address this stuff -
> hearing objections to even style changes.
>
> What is the game plan you envision then? When is it OK to touch any of
> this?

"OK"?  It's always ok to *fix* it, I'm just saying it's not terribly helpful
"fix" the style errors without fixing the underlying code, and I'm saying
it's
not ok to just remove it because we haven't gotten around to fixing it up
just yet.

> Honestly the code quality in this project is not yet professional.

It's better than the "professional" code I've seen in many companies whose
code I've read or had to use.  It has rough parts which are untended, just
like
codebases, except there are actually far fewer of these in our codebase, and
in fact ours has the benefit of that code not actually being used right now,
unlike corporate environments where the code gets embedded in some system
which is in use and can *never* be removed, leaving its bugs as little
time-bombs.

> Its much
> better than a lot of projects. But I participate to make code that is
> better
> than anything a professional organization is capable of.

Great, excellent.

> So this sentiment is not the best to hear. This is not amateur hobby code,
> it ought to be world class!

Totally agree.  I just don't agree on a) how to get there, code-wise, and b)
how to get there - motivation-of-contributors/commiters-wise.

  -jake

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
That sounds fine to me.

But I sense there's no particular motivation to ever address this stuff -
hearing objections to even style changes.

What is the game plan you envision then? When is it OK to touch any of this?

Honestly the code quality in this project is not yet professional. Its much

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
I agree which is why I am not excited by the task of scrubbing the details
but dont mind if someone else does at all. I already had my way with core
and examples which are more interesting. They're now pretty in line with
checkstyle rules.

On May 29, 2010 4:25 PM, "Jake Mannix" <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It isn't just lack o...
Wouldn't this be all the more reason to leave that code "ugly" so that as
we dig in and use it bit by bit, adding test cases and fixing bugs, we
also "pretty-ify" it?

Following the "broken-window" analogy, don't go fixing a bunch of windows
in a neighborhood where you don't even know if the floorboards on the
abandoned houses are rotten out.  Fix the windows when that particular
house is "move-in-ready".

 -jake

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The math (Colt) stuff is a special case, and in fact, is one which will
> lull
> us
> into a sense of security by having warnings go away, because it's still way
> low on test coverage.  But, we did go an run my nice "auto-deprecator"
> ruby script on it, so we at least still have those warnings...

It isn't just lack of test cases leading to deprecations.  I had a use just
now for some of the code and in the process of adding test cases to get rid
of the deprecations found it wasn't quite right.  If dipping into 4 routines
uncovers 1 medium to minor bug, there must be quite a few more of those
lurking.

> *shrug*  That code still has way more issues than just formatting, it's
> done in an entirely different style, was aimed at compiling against, like
> jdk1.2, and really needs some care and attention, and maybe possibly
> even some *use* at some point!

Indeed.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Robin Anil <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
I'd prefer to have a quick big-bang change, if indeed there aren't any
outstanding patches.
(If only to retroactively justify the fact that I just did the same to
core and examples.)
I think this is something we should focus on fixing up now, then going
forward we can actually pay attention to checkstyle warnings.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Cleanup Math

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.