Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2006/03/27 22:07:24 UTC

Re: [web] derby web site reorg -> Navigating the manuals online

David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> I actually really don't care how it's solved, having it all in one book
> was just one idea.  My definition of "book" maybe should be called a
> "compendium" or something - a collection of books.
>
> The main point I wanted to make was that you can easily go from one
> Derby document (Developer's Guide, for example) to another (Reference,
> for example) without five clicks to navigate through the hierarchy again.

Please try this:

http://people.apache.org/~jta/DerbyTest/manuals/index.html#Latest+Alpha+Manuals

I put the links in a table, and each opens the linked-to page in a new
window, leaving the original window as is. You no longer have to hit the
back button to traverse the hierarchy. You can simply close the current
window, then select the new manual.

Does this help?

thanks,

 -jean

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Yes, this works!  I can't say for sure without extended usage whether
the separate browser window for each manual works or not, but my first
impression is that this is *very* helpful.

Thanks!

David