Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Robert Goene <ro...@goene.nl> on 2005/06/28 15:31:10 UTC

Deploying with war

Hi List,

I have modified some java classes of the ConfigurableIndexer and i would
like to deploy it to my live server. The lenya installation is deployed
by means of a war file.

What happens with my content and all modified pub files when i drop a
new war file in the Tomcat directory. I am afraid the directory
structure is overwritten with the one of the war file. How do i assure
that my live data is not removed by the deploy process?

This question is not only relevant when some classes are modified. The
addition of a new publication to Lenya faces the same problem when
deploying the webapp to a live server.

Any tips on this?

Regards,

Robert

Re: Deploying with war

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Sean Fulton wrote:

> How near is the future? I'm not expecting to deploy anything before
> August. Will 1.4 be out on schedule?

looks like

> Including the JCR?

no

> Should I be developing with 1.4?

yes

Re: Deploying with war

Posted by Sean Fulton <fu...@cmu.edu>.
On 2005-06-28 09:56:37 -0400, Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> said:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Robert Goene wrote:
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> I have modified some java classes of the ConfigurableIndexer and i
>>> would like to deploy it to my live server. The lenya installation is
>>> deployed by means of a war file.
>>>
>>> What happens with my content and all modified pub files when i drop a
>>> new war file in the Tomcat directory. I am afraid the directory
>>> structure is overwritten with the one of the war file. How do i assure
>>> that my live data is not removed by the deploy process?
>>>
>>> This question is not only relevant when some classes are modified. The
>>> addition of a new publication to Lenya faces the same problem when
>>> deploying the webapp to a live server.
>>>
>>> Any tips on this?
>>

>> The following strategy can be used:
>>
>> - exclude the content, search-index, user-base etc. directories from the WAR
>> - deploy the war
>> - use a shell script to create symlinks from the web application to separate
>>   directories containing the content etc.
>

> In the near future this should all be obsolete, because all the data should
> be nicely separated from the actual application by the introduction of JCR.
>
> Michi

Since you brought it up...

How near is the future? I'm not expecting to deploy anything before
August. Will 1.4 be out on schedule? Including the JCR? Should I be
developing with 1.4?

	Sean

Re: Deploying with war

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Robert Goene wrote:

> My live version is 1.2. Is this way of deploying the best way for Lenya
> or do you happen to use another method, like copying all files from the
> webapp directory to the live server?

if you use the deploy / install targets, you can already specify
exclusion patterns to preserve existing content. i would suggest you
look into that.

Re: Deploying with war

Posted by Robert Goene <ro...@goene.nl>.

Re: Deploying with war

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Robert Goene wrote:

> Can you give me any hints on the files/directories i have to symlink?

In 1.2.x:

   pub/content
   pub/config/ac
   pub/resources/authoring
   pub/resources/live
   pub/work

I hope I didn't forget anything.

I assume that you're working with 1.4-dev, there the paths should
be quite the same ones.

-- Andreas

Re: Deploying with war

Posted by Robert Goene <ro...@goene.nl>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Robert Goene wrote:
>>
>>> Hi List,
>>>
>>> I have modified some java classes of the ConfigurableIndexer and i
>>> would like to deploy it to my live server. The lenya installation is
>>> deployed by means of a war file.
>>>
>>> What happens with my content and all modified pub files when i drop a
>>> new war file in the Tomcat directory. I am afraid the directory
>>> structure is overwritten with the one of the war file. How do i
>>> assure that my live data is not removed by the deploy process?
>>>
>>> This question is not only relevant when some classes are modified.
>>> The addition of a new publication to Lenya faces the same problem
>>> when deploying the webapp to a live server.
>>>
>>> Any tips on this?
>>

>> The following strategy can be used:
>>
>> - exclude the content, search-index, user-base etc. directories from
>> the WAR
>> - deploy the war
>> - use a shell script to create symlinks from the web application to
>> separate
>>   directories containing the content etc.
>

> In the near future this should all be obsolete, because all the data should
> be nicely separated from the actual application by the introduction of JCR.
>
> Michi

Oh, the future. Doesn't she look lovely?

Can you give me any hints on the files/directories i have to symlink? Do
you happen to have a script like this laying around somewhere?

Thanks, Robert

Re: Deploying with war

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

--