Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by rauljin <li...@sina.com> on 2013/04/17 06:53:37 UTC

How to balance reduce job

8 datanode in my hadoop cluseter ,when running reduce job,there is only 2 datanode running the job .

I want to use the 8 datanode to run the reduce job,so I can balance the I/O press.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

rauljin

Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.
The number of reducer running depends on the data available.

*Thanks & Regards    *

∞
Shashwat Shriparv

Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by shashwat shriparv <dw...@gmail.com>.

RE: How to balance reduce job

________________________________
From: Ajay Srivastava <Aj...@guavus.com>>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 06:02:30 +0000
To: <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>; <be...@gmail.com>>
ReplyTo: user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc: Mohammad Tariq<do...@gmail.com>>

From: Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:46:27 +0530
To: user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>>; Bejoy Ks<be...@gmail.com>>

cloudfront.blogspot.com<http://cloudfront.blogspot.com/>

From: rauljin <li...@sina.com>>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:53:37 +0800
To: user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>>
ReplyTo: user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: How to balance reduce job

RE: How to balance reduce job

From: Ajay Srivastava <Aj...@guavus.com>>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 06:02:30 +0000
To: <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>; <be...@gmail.com>>
ReplyTo: user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc: Mohammad Tariq<do...@gmail.com>>

RE: How to balance reduce job

From: Ajay Srivastava <Aj...@guavus.com>>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 06:02:30 +0000
To: <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>; <be...@gmail.com>>
ReplyTo: user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc: Mohammad Tariq<do...@gmail.com>>

RE: How to balance reduce job

From: Ajay Srivastava <Aj...@guavus.com>>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 06:02:30 +0000
To: <us...@hadoop.apache.org>>; <be...@gmail.com>>
ReplyTo: user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc: Mohammad Tariq<do...@gmail.com>>

From: rauljin <li...@sina.com>>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:53:37 +0800
To: user@hadoop.apache.org<ma...@hadoop.apache.org>>

Posted by be...@gmail.com.

Re: How to balance reduce job

Re: How to balance reduce job

Re: How to balance reduce job

Re: How to balance reduce job

Just to add to Bejoy's comments, it also depends on the data distribution.
Is your data properly distributed across the HDFS?

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/
cloudfront.blogspot.com

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM, <be...@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> Hi Rauljin
>
> Few things to check here.
> What is the number of reduce slots in each Task Tracker? What is the
> number of reduce tasks for your job?
> Based on the availability of slots the reduce tasks are scheduled on TTs.
>
> You can do the following
> Set the number of reduce tasks to 8 or more.
> Play with the number of slots (not very advisable for tweaking this on a
> job level )
>
> The reducers are scheduled purely based on the slot availability so it
> won't be that easy to ensure that all TT are evenly loaded with same number
> of reducers.
> Regards
> Bejoy KS
>
> Sent from remote device, Please excuse typos
> ------------------------------
> *From: * rauljin <li...@sina.com>
> *Date: *Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:53:37 +0800
> *To: *user@hadoop.apache.org<us...@hadoop.apache.org>
> *ReplyTo: * user@hadoop.apache.org
> *Subject: *How to balance reduce job
>
> 8 datanode in my hadoop cluseter ,when running reduce job,there is only 2
> datanode running the job .
>
> I want to use the 8 datanode to run the reduce job,so I can balance the
> I/O press.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ------------------------------
> rauljin

Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by be...@gmail.com.
Uniform Data distribution across HDFS is one of the factor that ensures map tasks are uniformly distributed across nodes. But reduce tasks doesn't depend on data distribution it is purely based on slot availability.

Regards
Bejoy KS

Just to add to Bejoy's comments, it also depends on the data distribution.
Is your data properly distributed across the HDFS?

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/
cloudfront.blogspot.com

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM, <be...@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> Hi Rauljin
>
> Few things to check here.
> What is the number of reduce slots in each Task Tracker? What is the
> number of reduce tasks for your job?
> Based on the availability of slots the reduce tasks are scheduled on TTs.
>
> You can do the following
> Set the number of reduce tasks to 8 or more.
> Play with the number of slots (not very advisable for tweaking this on a
> job level )
>
> The reducers are scheduled purely based on the slot availability so it
> won't be that easy to ensure that all TT are evenly loaded with same number
> of reducers.
> Regards
> Bejoy KS
>
> Sent from remote device, Please excuse typos
> ------------------------------
> *From: * rauljin <li...@sina.com>
> *Date: *Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:53:37 +0800
> *To: *user@hadoop.apache.org<us...@hadoop.apache.org>
> *ReplyTo: * user@hadoop.apache.org
> *Subject: *How to balance reduce job
>
> 8 datanode in my hadoop cluseter ,when running reduce job,there is only 2
> datanode running the job .
>
> I want to use the 8 datanode to run the reduce job,so I can balance the
> I/O press.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ------------------------------
> rauljin

Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by be...@gmail.com.
Uniform Data distribution across HDFS is one of the factor that ensures map tasks are uniformly distributed across nodes. But reduce tasks doesn't depend on data distribution it is purely based on slot availability.

Regards
Bejoy KS

Just to add to Bejoy's comments, it also depends on the data distribution.
Is your data properly distributed across the HDFS?

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/
cloudfront.blogspot.com

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM, <be...@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> Hi Rauljin
>
> Few things to check here.
> What is the number of reduce slots in each Task Tracker? What is the
> number of reduce tasks for your job?
> Based on the availability of slots the reduce tasks are scheduled on TTs.
>
> You can do the following
> Set the number of reduce tasks to 8 or more.
> Play with the number of slots (not very advisable for tweaking this on a
> job level )
>
> The reducers are scheduled purely based on the slot availability so it
> won't be that easy to ensure that all TT are evenly loaded with same number
> of reducers.
> Regards
> Bejoy KS
>
> Sent from remote device, Please excuse typos
> ------------------------------
> *From: * rauljin <li...@sina.com>
> *Date: *Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:53:37 +0800
> *To: *user@hadoop.apache.org<us...@hadoop.apache.org>
> *ReplyTo: * user@hadoop.apache.org
> *Subject: *How to balance reduce job
>
> 8 datanode in my hadoop cluseter ,when running reduce job,there is only 2
> datanode running the job .
>
> I want to use the 8 datanode to run the reduce job,so I can balance the
> I/O press.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> ------------------------------
> rauljin

Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by be...@gmail.com.

Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.

Re: Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.
You can use input sampler , and you have to plug a custom partitioner which
would ensure that all reducers have near-equal pairs to process. The input
sampler goes over the sampled data before the execution of the job starts.
I also had some doubt , but got no response.

Thanks,
Rahul

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.

Re: How to balance reduce job

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Just to add to Bejoy's comments, it also depends on the data distribution.
Is your data properly distributed across the HDFS?

Warm Regards,
Tariq
https://mtariq.jux.com/
cloudfront.blogspot.com

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM, <be...@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> Hi Rauljin
>
> Few things to check here.
> What is the number of reduce slots in each Task Tracker? What is the
> number of reduce tasks for your job?
> Based on the availability of slots the reduce tasks are scheduled on TTs.
>
> You can do the following
> Set the number of reduce tasks to 8 or more.
> Play with the number of slots (not very advisable for tweaking this on a
> job level )
>
> The reducers are scheduled purely based on the slot availability so it
> won't be that easy to ensure that all TT are evenly loaded with same number
> of reducers.
> Regards
> Bejoy KS
>
> Sent from remote device, Please excuse typos
> ------------------------------
> *From: * rauljin <li...@sina.com>
> *Date: *Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:53:37 +0800
> *To: *user@hadoop.apache.org<us...@hadoop.apache.org>
> *ReplyTo: * user@hadoop.apache.org
> *Subject: *How to balance reduce job
>
> 8 datanode in my hadoop cluseter ,when running reduce job,there is only 2
> datanode running the job .
>
> I want to use the 8 datanode to run the reduce job,so I can balance the
> I/O press.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

> rauljin