Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> on 2011/06/18 00:19:47 UTC

Fwd: Teams and Leads - where leadership lives (sermonette warning)

I thought I'd share this excellent "Sermonette" posted by Dennis
Hamilton on the new OpenOffice.org incubator projects dev mailing
list. I think it's a great post illustrating some very appropriate and
useful observations from a newcomer to The Apache Way.

I know I found it educational, I hope you appreciate it too.

Ross

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I notice that, moved over here, there is some missing context.

There started to be talk about creating teams and leads, and Greg Stein remarked that we should be wary about divisions of responsibility, making teams and especially anointing leaders and leads.

I also see, below, that I spoke of teams and teamwork too, and I think that translates here as speaking to what gives cohesiveness to the fluid/self-selected community that is acting on behalf of a particular project as teamwork, not that there are designated teams.

Another way I have heard this spoken of is something like this: leadership arises in the space we create by empowering leadership among us.  Leadership emerges.

 - Dennis

> I read, there is no single vision on how PMCs should run a project and
> the communities they host. So I think the OpenOffice.org community can
> create or better bring in its own customary constitution even it's
> hosted by Apache.
>
> OpenOffice.org is a little bit different from other Apache projects.
> That makes sense to gover it in a different way.

I agree that OOo might need some other things as other projects. I
also agree with the freedom a PMC has inside the ASF.

But before rules are established: the ASF is a meritocracy.

[ ... ]

Posted by Sharon Gardner <s....@zen.co.uk>.
Hi Ross,

Great, thanks, will submit another PAC just before Berlin (next week).

Sharon

-----