Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tyrone Buckle <ty...@mutablerealms.com> on 2002/08/27 19:50:43 UTC

Tomcat Apache and SSL

How can I tell Apache to tell Tomcat to use SSL. I know I can get Apache
to take care of the SSL, but can I also do it this way.

Re: Tomcat Apache and SSL

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Tyrone Buckle wrote:

> How can I tell Apache to tell Tomcat to use SSL. I know I can get
> Apache to take care of the SSL, but can I also do it this way.

I'm not sure what you're asking, because your question, in a way,
doesn't make sense.  SSL is (typically) layered on top of HTTP to make
HTTPS.  So SSL is used on HTTP communication -- as done between a
browser and a web server (both ways).  The communication between
Apache and Tomcat is not HTTP, so it doesn't make sense to talk about
it "using SSL".  If Tomcat is running in standalone, it does make
sense to talk about using SSL, because then it is doing the HTTP
communication.  But then it doesn't make sense to talk about Apache,
becase it's no longer in the equation.

I think you need to say more about what you are trying to do, and why,
then people here can better give you suggestions.

If you're talking about encrypting communication between Apache and
Tomcat, that was discussed recently here (you should check the
archives), and it didn't seem like there was a way to do that.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)
mepstein@uiuc.edu