Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo Rivera <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2002/10/24 07:57:06 UTC

XSP vrs. transforms.

Hi everybody!

Today I received the book of Carsten and Matthew. All day I was reading it.
Nice book! Lots of info about the inside of the Cocoon world.

I buyed it because I needed to know more about the XSP. I thinked this is the
way of the future development of Cocoon. But after reading the chapter 10. I
have a brainstorm in my head. :(

It looks like soon XSP will be deprecated in favor of transformers. XSP is
nice just for prototyping.... XSP has performance lack.... XSP has many
disadvantages in front of transformers....well. :( Its OK.

All the book talk mainly about the transformers. I know that this is a new
wave and very nice.

By the way when I asked about what is better to use in August nobody can tell
me that: "If you are new in Cocoon use better transforms, XSP is being
changed by transforms". Nobody tell me that few words that cleary like the
book show "the future is in transforms and not in XSP". :(

Now I have almost 1 app full written using XSP without transformer and I feel
like I choosed a wrong old way of Cocoon. Because I need to write it again
usaing tranformers if I want to use this app in the future releases of
Cocoon.

I said that because as the book said, the interest in XSP is going down in
favor of transforms.

Can someone tell me if I am wrong? As many of you can see I was asking this
almost every month here. Please answer.

Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: XSP vrs. transforms.

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
On Thursday 24 October 2002 10:08, Enke, Michael wrote:
> Also in computer magazin articles from Matthew and Carsten
> I read the same: XSP has no future in Cocoon.
> But in my mind I can do things with xsp much easier and more
> flexible than with transformers.
> I did not follow the discussions about this topic but
> I cann't imagine that xsp will really be thrown away.

Guys - don't worry! Although everyone has his favorites.... I am sure noone
really want to throw it away! I has been in Cocoon1 and it will always be in
Cocoon2.

I do have to admit: I was a XSP lover and became very biased right now. The
generate-compile cycle is quite clumsy. Logicsheet debugging can be a pain.

Also compare the treeprocessor with the compiled sitemap... I am so happy we
made that move!! (thanx sylvain ;-)

...but it's not always "the way" to go. I don't think we have "the way" in
cocoon - which can also be a problem. Especially for newbies....

cheers
--
Torsten

RE: XSP vrs. transforms.

Posted by Argyn <ak...@cox.net>.
Now it's absolutely clear that XSPs will be thrown away

:)

Re: XSP vrs. transforms.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

RE: XSP vrs. transforms.

Posted by Artur Bialecki <ar...@digitalfairway.com>.

One day someone will make the distinction of what should be
used for what in situations X, Y, and Z clear. I believe in this
more than I believe in God.

Artur...

Re: XSP vrs. transforms.

Posted by Christian Haul <ha...@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.

Re: XSP vrs. transforms.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Enke, Michael wrote:
> Also in computer magazin articles from Matthew and Carsten
> I read the same: XSP has no future in Cocoon.
> But in my mind I can do things with xsp much easier and more
> flexible than with transformers.
> I did not follow the discussions about this topic but
> I cann't imagine that xsp will really be thrown away.

XSP will not be thrown away.

Ok, let me be more clear: XSP will not be thrown away.

;-)

Cocoon injects content via Generators, and XSP is just *one* of the
possible ways to do it.

In the beginning it was heavily used, improperly IMO but those
discussions are all in the archives, and it will probably be less and
less important over time.

But XSP will not be thrown away.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: XSP vrs. transforms.