Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2016/10/03 08:56:45 UTC

Re: Would Commons Lang on Java 8 be a problem for the Apache Maven project?

Hi,

sorry for the late reply... :-)

Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com> schrieb am Mo., 26. Sep.
2016 um 12:03 Uhr:

> Well another question is how much longer will we support Java 7 anyway...
> what we have said in the past is the next release line after JDK9 is
> released will only support Java 8+... now we could change that, but that is
> *currently* what we have currently stated. I suspect that a bump to Java 8
> by commons-lang would have a corresponding major version bump... would that
> also include a package name relocation (ala commons-lang3) to indicate
> breaking API changes?

Not necessarily. If we just add new API for example for dealing with
java.util.function.Function, we would consider this a compatible change and
not bump the major version number.

If we decide to do a major version number bump, we would change maven and
package coordinates.

But TBH, I don't see Commons Lang 4.0 any time soon, simply because we
don't have enough man power.

> Would the commons PMC object to us looking for maintenance releases on the
> old line (perhaps even with us committing the fixes to the maintenance line
> if necessary... IIUI commons is "open commit" so any Maven committer
> *should* have a commit bit on commons... we'd just need the commons PMC to
> assist getting releases out)?

Traditionally we just maintain two release lines. For Commons Lang we still
provide the 2.x release line but the main development line is 3.x. TBH
there has been no development/fixes in the 2.x line for ages. But
theoretically we could push out a new 2.x release if anything critical
shows up.
So we would usually not maintain, say 3.4.x and 3.4+, because we don't have
enough resources.

Yes Commons is open for all Apache Committers and we invite every Apache
Committer to come and collaborate at Apache Commons. So if any Maven
Committer wants to push out a Maintenance release of Component XY, we're
happy to help with that.
When it comes to releases, at the moment only the Commons PMC LDAP group
can deploy to our group ID. But if anybody shows serious interest in
pushing a release we simply grant the necessary karma.

> I suspect the answers to the above are all favourable... in which case I
> say "don't let us hold you back"

Okay, I still think it will take some time until we seriously consider
moving to Java 8 (we're currently Java 6), but it's good to get some
feedback early.

Thank you!
Benedikt