Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Robert Yokota <ra...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/17 17:23:31 UTC

Don't Settle for Eventual Consistency

Hi,

This may be helpful to those who are considering the use of HBase.

https://yokota.blog/2017/02/17/dont-settle-for-eventual-consistency/

Re: Don't Settle for Eventual Consistency

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 3:24 AM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>

> What happened to those 5 9s?

Academic paper and blog deploys vs actual production? (Hey Ed).

Thanks for posting Robert,

St.Ack

Re: Don't Settle for Eventual Consistency

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Ap systems are not available in practice..
>
> Cp systems can be made highly available.
>
> Sounds like they are arguing ap is not ap, but somehow cp can be ap.
>
> Then google can label failures as 'incidents' and cp and ap are unefected.
>
> I swear foundation db claimed it solved cap, too bad foundationdb is
> unavailableexception.
>
> On Friday, February 17, 2017, Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Reference #8 at the end of the post is interesting.
>>
>> On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Robert Yokota <ra...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > This may be helpful to those who are considering the use of HBase.
>> >
>> > https://yokota.blog/2017/02/17/dont-settle-for-eventual-consistency/
>> >

> --
> Sorry this was sent from mobile. Will do less grammar and spell check than
> usual.

Totally fair comparison by the way. Call out figures with from Google and
Facebook, companies with huge development budgets and data centers, teams
with tends or hundreds of developers building in house software, then
compare those deployments to a deployment of Cassandra or Riak at
Yammer.....

Random thought: Compare the availability of amazon S3, build to leverage
eventual consistency, on top of other systems with eventual consistency,
and compare that with say google cloud storage...

https://cloud.google.com/products/storage/
AvailableAll storage classes offer very high availability. Your data is
accessible when you need it. Multi-Regional offers 99.95% and Regional
storage offers 99.9% monthly availability in their Service Level Agreement.
Nearline and Coldline storage offer 99% monthly availability.

What happened to those 5 9s?

Don't Settle for Eventual Consistency

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.