Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Petrucci Andreas <pe...@hotmail.com> on 2010/12/11 00:18:56 UTC

HDFS Append Operation Question

Hi there, well i have a certain question that seeks answer. The HDFS's append operation was not officially included in hadoop 0.20.* however it is said that it is supported offcially in the 0.21.0 release. Could anyone could tell me if there are now performance imporvemets or no consistency/reliability issues in the 0.21.0 release? are any benchmarks offiaclly included in the 0.21.0 release?

PS. in the release notes of 0.210.0 i cannot see any reference to append operation (contrary to 0.20.2 release). Am I missing something??

thanks in advance,
Petrucci

Re: HDFS Append Operation Question

Posted by Harsh J <qw...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

2010/12/11 Petrucci Andreas <pe...@hotmail.com>:

> Hi there, well i have a certain question that seeks answer. The HDFS's append operation was not officially included in hadoop 0.20.* however it is said that it is supported offcially in the 0.21.0 release. Could anyone could tell me if there are now performance imporvemets or no consistency/reliability issues in the 0.21.0 release? are any benchmarks offiaclly included in the 0.21.0 release?

For append with 0.20 releases, there is a 0.20-append branch available.

This JIRA page should throw good light on the Append-feature redo that
was carried out: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-265

And as always, all tickets related to the current latest release may
be found here: http://hadoop.apache.org/hdfs/docs/current/releasenotes.html
[Does have a log of append work included -- part of Improvements
carried out, and append tests were also added to the existing
benchmark tests if I'm right]

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com