Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by maya <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2006/09/12 05:42:59 UTC

EL expressions not being evaluated..

I can't get my EL expressions to evaluate to what they're supposed to...
they print verbatim, in both IE and FF, like for example:

   Server Name: ${pageContext.request.serverName}
   Server Port: ${pageContext.request.serverPort}
   Remote Address: ${pageContext.request.remoteAddr}
   Remote Host: ${pageContext.request.remoteHost}

or this in a bean:

   Name retrieved from JavaBean has the value of: ${param.name}.

anything else I've tried to do w/EL it always prints like this in
browser.. why is this..  (running on Tomcat 5, everything pretty
standard..)  thank you..

Re: EL expressions not being evaluated..

Posted by chuanjiang lo <lo...@gmail.com>.
i think it is the servlet specifications

if i am not wrong servlet 2.3 specifications does not evaluate the EL
expressions..

Posted by lamzo <la...@hotmail.com>.
Is there a custom tag or bean that permits sending of large mailing
lists?

JavaMail is perfect for emails but does not work well for large mailing
lists.

Lamine

9/15/2006

RE: how to make a webapp the ROOT webapp with Tomcat 5

Posted by lamzo <la...@hotmail.com>.
Hi all,

It looks like I found the answer to my own problem:
The key is to modify the xml files in the $CATALINA_HOME/Catalina/[host
name] directory, because they take precedence.

Lamine.

RE: Security images

Posted by lamzo <la...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks for the tip Rahul.  I will deploy the jar and test the service.

Lamine.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by maya <ma...@yahoo.com>.
interesting.. I didn't know they had a 1.4-compatible package for 5.5..
  again, many thanks to all..

Kris Schneider wrote:
> maya wrote:
>> oh brother.. this means I would have to upgrade to sdk 1.5 from 1.4
>> (Tomcat 5.5 requires 1.5..  it might not be a bad idea, though, b/c I
>> also want to start playing with NetBeans..  but have been reluctant to
>> upgrade everything...:)
>
> TC 5.5 should work just fine with JDK 1.4. Make sure to download the
> apache-tomcat-[version]-compat.zip file and install it after the base
> distro.
>
>> ok, many thanks to everyone for your help..
>>

>> Rashmi Rubdi wrote:
>>
>>> Set up a fresh install of the latest Tomcat on the side with the
>>> correct web.xml entry, and put a test jsp page in it with a simple EL
>>> expression and see if it evaluates.      I have apache-tomcat-5.5.12
>>>      and a different set of jar files under
>>> apache-tomcat-5.5.12\common\lib :      commons-el.jar
>>> jasper-compiler-jdt.jar
>>> jasper-compiler.jar
>>> jasper-runtime.jar
>>> jsp-api.jar
>>> jstl.jar
>>> naming-factory-dbcp.jar
>>> naming-factory.jar
>>> naming-resources.jar
>>> serializer.jar
>>> servlet-api.jar
>>> standard.jar

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.

--
Kris Schneider <ma...@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>

Re: EL expressions not being evaluated..

Posted by maya <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <de...@yahoo.com>.

---------------------------------

Re: EL expressions not being evaluated..

Posted by maya <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Kris Schneider wrote:
> maya wrote:
>> again, thank you all very much.. as mentioned, I have Tomcat 5.0.27,
>> which comes with the following (as specified in release-notes.txt that
>> comes with it):
>>
>> * commons-collections*.jar (Commons Collections 2.1 or later)
>> * commons-dbcp.jar (Commons DBCP 1.1 or later)
>> * commons-el.jar (Commons Expression Language 1.0)
>> * commons-logging-api.jar (Commons Logging API 1.0.3 or later)
>> * commons-pool.jar (Commons Pool 1.1 or later)
>> * jasper-compiler.jar (Jasper 2 Compiler)
>> * jasper-runtime.jar (Jasper 2 Runtime)
>> * jsp-api.jar (JSP 2.0 API)
>> * commons-el.jar (JSP 2.0 Expression Language)
>> * naming-common.jar (JNDI Context implementation)
>> * naming-factory.jar (JNDI object factories for J2EE ENC support)
>> * naming-resources.jar (JNDI DirContext implementations)
>> * servlet-api.jar (Servlet 2.4 API)
>>
>> this means my EL expressions should evaluate, right?
>
> Don't worry about that stuff, focus on your app. The first thing to do
> is to make sure you're using a Servlet 2.4 web.xml. It should look
> something like this:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
>          xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
>          xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
> http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
>          version="2.4">

> </web-app>
>
> If you're using a Servlet 2.3 web.xml, then EL will be ignored by default.

thank you very much.. I put what you posted in my web.xml (in lieu of
what I had there previously (and what I have in all web.xml's in
Tomcat), namely

<!DOCTYPE web-app

<web-app>

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.

Security images

Posted by maya <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Andrés Florit <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by maya <ma...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <de...@yahoo.com>.

---------------------------------

Re: EL expressions not being evaluated..

Posted by Andrés Florit <af...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/06, maya <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I can't get my EL expressions to evaluate to what they're supposed to...
> they print verbatim, in both IE and FF, like for example:
>
>    Server Name: ${pageContext.request.serverName}
>    Server Port: ${pageContext.request.serverPort}
>    Remote Address: ${pageContext.request.remoteAddr}
>    Remote Host: ${pageContext.request.remoteHost}
>
> or this in a bean:
>
>    Name retrieved from JavaBean has the value of: ${param.name}.
>
> anything else I've tried to do w/EL it always prints like this in
> browser.. why is this..  (running on Tomcat 5, everything pretty
> standard..)  thank you..

<snip/>