Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/05/09 14:46:42 UTC

plugin version auto-discovery

Hi,

This is in place in subversion (in accordance with MNG-192). I'll finish
it up tomorrow, and do the group/artifact ID discovery from prefixes.

Known issues, just in case you hit them and were wondering:
- I get a duplicate class realm exception with idea:idea when I use the
release version. I guess I'm storing one version and checking another,
so it slips through the duplicate check. I think the class realm will
need to take the version into account anyway.
- versions are checked on the same interval as snapshots (ie daily) -
needs to be more configurable, and deployed/installed every time as well
- needs to be part of the release process instead
- I had a problem (unrelated) with a marmalade pom when I used a clean
repo. Will try a ci.sh checkout tomorrow.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: plugin version auto-discovery

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
These are all resolved, except for:

- versions are checked on the same interval as snapshots (ie daily) -
needs to be more configurable, and deployed/installed every time as well

I'll put that in JIRA.

- Brett

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 22:46 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is in place in subversion (in accordance with MNG-192). I'll finish
> it up tomorrow, and do the group/artifact ID discovery from prefixes.
>
> Known issues, just in case you hit them and were wondering:
> - I get a duplicate class realm exception with idea:idea when I use the
> release version. I guess I'm storing one version and checking another,
> so it slips through the duplicate check. I think the class realm will
> need to take the version into account anyway.

It's not slipping through as it only uses the name you tell it to use
and it currently doesn't take into consideration the version. I can fix
that when John and I take a swing at improving the handling in the
artifact enabled container later this week.

> - versions are checked on the same interval as snapshots (ie daily) -
> needs to be more configurable, and deployed/installed every time as well
> - needs to be part of the release process instead
> - I had a problem (unrelated) with a marmalade pom when I used a clean
> repo. Will try a ci.sh checkout tomorrow.
>
> Cheers,
> Brett

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

  -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks