Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jason Dillon <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/20 08:52:11 UTC

Version numbers starting to creep into module poms

I've been finding a few spots where folks are using version numbers
in child poms.  Please do not do this, it makes it difficult to
manage the versions.  The current policy for version numbers is:

For external dependencies, define the <dependency> w/version in the
top-level pom's <dependencyManagement> section.

For internal dependencies (modules which have their source in the
current project, and share the same version), define the <dependency>
with a <version>${version}</version> in the dependent module (do not
create an entry in <dependencyManagement>).

  * * *

For extreme edge cases where for some reason either of the above
doesn't make any sense... then document why it does not make sense in
the pom where its used.  But... really I can't think of any good
reason for this.

Soon when we have modules grouped together by functionality, then we
can use the containing module's dependencyMangement to better contain/
group this information... but until then... please do try to make use
of the top-level pom's dependencyMangement bits.

Thanks,

--jason