Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Kirk True <ki...@mustardgrain.com> on 2010/11/01 04:28:08 UTC

Re: Java client hangs when executing Hive query using JDBC interface

If you run `pkill -3 java` on the client and server machines, do you see
anything interesting?

Kirk

Posted by Regunath Balasubramanian <Re...@mindtree.com>.
Kirk,

Thanks for the response.
The issue is resolved now. The problem and resolution was as follows:

1.       Hive logs errors to System.err. In our case it went to nohup.out while we were looking for errors in Hive log4j logs and the Hadoop log4j logs. I found this strange.

2.       The error log showed a Java "no such method" exception in the Thrift gateway classes. A bit of Googling lead us to people with similar issues (http://getsatisfaction.com/cloudera/topics/hive_thrift_connector_fails_with_java_lang_nosuchmethoderror). The fix was to replace the libfb303.jar in the Hadoop cluster (name and data nodes) with the one that comes with the Hive distribution. This again was surprising as we deployed Hadoop and Hive from Cloudera CDH2. Btw the Hive distribution was 0.4.x(released Feb '10) and not 0.5.1 as mentioned in my mail.

Cheers!
Regu

If you run `pkill -3 java` on the client and server machines, do you see anything interesting?

Kirk

On 10/31/10 5:06 AM, Regunath Balasubramanian wrote:
We use the following Hadoop stack distribution:

HDFS - Cloudera 0.20.1+19.89