Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Mark Harrison <mg...@cam.ac.uk> on 2002/06/28 17:48:53 UTC

No response from Xindice server when first installed - can anyone help?

Dear Xindice users,

I have installed Xindice 1.0 on a RedHat Linux server running Sun
Java 1.3 installed via j2sdk-1_3_1_04-linux-i586.rpm

When I start the server using ./start,  I see:

Starting Xindice
----------------

Xindice 1.0 (Birthday)

Database: 'db' initializing
Script: 'GET' added to script storage
Service: 'db' started
Service: 'HTTPServer' started @ http://mlpc-autoid3.eng.cam.ac.uk:4080/
Service: 'APIService' started

Server Running

which suggests that it has found Java - but when I try typing:

xindiceadmin ac -c /db -n addressbook

as in the example, I receive no response - it just hangs.

I have tried to follow the installation notes exactly but it is not
clear why I don't see the response:

Created : /db/addressbook

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?  Could it be a file
permission issue or a problem that I started the Xindice server as
root?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide...

- Mark Harrison

Re: No response from Xindice server when first installed - can anyonehelp?

Posted by "Mark J. Stang" <ma...@earthlink.net>.
Enter ulimit at a shell prompt and see what it returns.   Mine is
unlimited.
Some people have been using

    ulimit -s 2048

I haven't had any problems.   Which version of RedHat are you using?

HTH,

Mark

--
Mark J Stang
System Architect

Re: No response from Xindice server when first installed - can anyone help?

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.
At 16:48 28/06/02, Mark Harrison wrote:
>I have installed Xindice 1.0 on a RedHat Linux server running Sun Java 1.3
>installed via j2sdk-1_3_1_04-linux-i586.rpm
>as in the example, I receive no response - it just hangs.

You haven't mentioned whether or not you have ipchains or other
firewall/port checking software installed?

I think RedHat comes with ipchains by default and it will block access to
port 4080 resulting in the symptoms you describe.

Try ipchains -L   as the root user to list what your ipchains rules are .....

Alex

Openweb Analysts Ltd, London: Software For Complex Websites
http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
Free Consultancy for London Companies thinking of Open Source Software.