Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> on 2010/09/11 01:29:32 UTC

Monitoring with Cacti

Am going through the rather painful process of trying to monitor cassandra using Cacti (it's what we use at work). At the moment it feels like a losing battle :)

Does anyone know of some cacti resources for monitoring the JVM or Cassandra metrics other than...

mysql-cacti-templates
http://code.google.com/p/mysql-cacti-templates/
- provides templates and data sources that require ssh and can monitor JVM heap and a few things.

Cassandra-cacti-m6
http://www.jointhegrid.com/cassandra/cassandra-cacti-m6.jsp
Coded for version 0.6* , have made some changes to stop it looking for stats that no longer exist. Missing some metrics I think but it's probably the best bet so far. If I get it working I'll contribute it back to them. Most of the problems were probably down the how much effort it takes to setup cacti.

jmxterm
http://www.cyclopsgroup.org/projects/jmxterm/
Allows for command line access to JMX. I started down the path of writing a cacti data source to use this just to see how it worked. Looks like a lot of work.

Thanks for any advice.
Aaron

Re: Monitoring with Cacti

Posted by hoivan <ih...@evidentsoftware.com>.
Just as an FYI, Evident ClearStone supports monitoring of Cassandra clusters.
Our product supports various NoSQL products (including Cassandra) and other
distributed caching technologies.

The product aggregates metrics (from JMX) across all the nodes in the
cluster. We also monitor JVM stats like CPU, heap, and GC. The user
interface is an Adobe Flex application. We have also include some of the
nodetool operations within the product to allow you to point an click on a
node to run some of the nodetool functions. There's many more features in
the product such as alerting and historical reporting.

You can find more information about Evident ClearStone here:
http://www.evidentsoftware.com/products/clearstone-for-cassandra

Free downloads are available here: http://www.evidentsoftware.com/download

Re: Monitoring with Cacti

Posted by Ranjib Dey <ra...@thoughtworks.com>.
I use nagios + nrpe + some custom scripts to monitor our cassandra/hadoop
nodes. Given our long time comfortability with nagios, i didn't find any
major gotchas ..
regards
ranjib

Re: RE: Monitoring with Cacti

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Will take another look to see what I can "borrow".

Thanks
Aaron

On 14 Sep, 2010,at 03:53 AM, Jeremiah Jordan <JE...@morningstar.com> wrote:

Have you checked out the munin scripts?  If you want a starting point for something that pulls data out of jmx and prints it out (so you can catch and graph it).  It is very easy to setup this to get any jmx value you want.

http://github.com/jamesgolick/cassandra-munin-plugins

RE: Monitoring with Cacti

Posted by Jeremiah Jordan <JE...@morningstar.com>.

________________________________

Re: Monitoring with Cacti

Posted by Dan Di Spaltro <da...@gmail.com>.
Cloudkick does monitor JMX now.  That + custom alerts is pretty powerful.

I work for Cloudkick, btw

--
Dan Di Spaltro

Re: Monitoring with Cacti

Posted by Aaron Morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Thanks but this is an internal only application.

Cheers
Aaron

Re: Monitoring with Cacti

Posted by Dave Viner <da...@pobox.com>.