Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Michael Luckey <ad...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/01 10:28:19 UTC

Removing :beam-website:testWebsite from gradle build target

Hi,

after playing around with Gradle build for a while, I would like to suggest
to remove ':beam-website:testWebsite target from Gradle's check task.

Rationale:
- the task seems to be very flaky. In fact, I always need to add '-x
:beam-website:testWebsite' to my build [1]
- task uses docker, which imho adds a (unnecessary) severe constraint on
the build task. E.g. A part time user is unable to execute these tests in a
docker environment
- these tests are accessing production environment. So myself hitting the
build several times an hour could be considered a DOS attack.

Of course, these tests add lots of value and should definitely be executed,
but wouldn't it be sufficient, to run this task only dedicated, i.e. by an
explicit call to ':beam-website:testWebsite' o ':websitePreCommit'? Any
thoughts?

best,

michel

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-6760

Re: Removing :beam-website:testWebsite from gradle build target

Posted by Melissa Pashniak <me...@google.com>.
I'm not familiar enough with the testing infrastructure scripts to review
the details of these changes in the PR [1] (is there someone more familiar
that could review?), but internal-only pre-commit and full scan post-commit
seems like a good plan to me. From staring at a lot of link testing logs
for awhile now, most real issues are internal (usually when pages are
added/moved) and these are good to catch during PR review. Dead external
links are fairly rare, so I agree a weekly review of post-commit results
for actual 404s would probably be sufficient.

Posted by Kyle Weaver <kc...@google.com>.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kyle Weaver <kc...@google.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alan Myrvold <am...@google.com>.
+1 if possible, removing link checks would be nice too, if they are
unreliable and there is a way to disable them.

Posted by Mikhail Gryzykhin <mi...@google.com>.

Posted by Andrew Pilloud <ap...@google.com>.