Posted to dev@predictionio.apache.org by Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org> on 2018/01/09 07:00:24 UTC

Goals for 2018

Hi all,

I would like to propose some goals for the project to achieve in the year
of 2018. I am starting a list of things that I feel important. Please feel
free to chime in. It would be great if we can finalize on a short list of
things by end of this month.

I will start with 2 major categories of goals: PredictionIO functionality
and project operations.

Functionality:

- Keeping the core value of bringing machine learning to production through
template-based build-train-deploy
  - Templates are tested against new versions of PIO
  - More flexible building by supporting other build tools natively
  - Training and deployment using easy-to-understand packaging and
transparent tracking
  - Expose engine instance management better and make it easy to use
- Multiple template types support
  - Support existing DASE templates
  - Add support to Spark ML-based templates
- Decouple event server as a core requirement
- Evaluate Kappa architecture
- Evaluate multiple runtime support as time allows
- General housekeeping
  - Deprecate old Spark and Scala versions
  - Upgrade core dependencies

Project operations:

- Maintain a release cadence of at least one version every 2 months,
starting with a release at the end of this month. Releases can be as small
as patch versions, to get bug fixes into public's hands.
- Rotate release managers. Chan and I have cut releases. It would be nice
to have a couple more PMC members to have experience in releasing.

If you have any question please feel free to ask. Happy to add more details
to them.

Regards,
Donald

Re: Goals for 2018

Posted by Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org>.
I think they would both fall into the item

> Training and deployment using easy-to-understand packaging and
transparent tracking

Training part: A REST API (something like
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIO-29) that would provide an
alternative to CLI and expose more tracking information for engine
instances.

Deployment part: Existing "pio deploy", plus options to deploy to AWS EMR
(and other similar products from other vendors), and generating Docker
containers.

Re: Goals for 2018

Posted by Simon Chan <si...@salesforce.com>.
Great list, Donald. How about: