Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Julio Camara <ju...@oracle.com> on 2015/10/12 21:30:16 UTC

Partitions - Brokers - Servers

I think I understand the concept of partitioning a topic and it's
benefits. But I can't find any clear explanation of relationship between
partitions, brokers and physical servers. Is there any document or
article that discusses the number of partitions for each broker and
brokers for each server, for example?

In some articles there were examples of a topic with 4 partitions in 4
brokers. Is this a typical implementation of partitions and brokers,
i.e. n partitions require n brokers?

I would like to be able to use best practices to size the number of
servers, brokers and partitions.

Thank you,
--
Julio Camara