Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Chris Garrigues <cw...@DeepEddy.Com> on 2002/07/03 18:21:32 UTC

Re: [OT] Better Linux server platform: Redhat or SuSe?

> From:  Barry Hoggard <ba...@tristanmedia.com>
> Date:  Wed, 03 Jul 2002 11:52:21 -0400
>

> > Remote maintability: Is it possible to remotely upgrade between OS
> > versions for either of those platforms (not a must, but would be a plus)?
>
> I would be afraid to do that remotely, since it normally involved a
> kernel change as well.

We have an internal distribution which is kinda mostly a redhat system gets
various RPMs updated remotely including kernel RPMs, but I'm *very* careful
with kernel RPMs and do multiple installs on non-remote systems before I do
any remote systems.

> > Sendmail: Does the system make it easy to replace sendmail with another
> > mailer of choice (qmail in my case)?
>
> I don't know about Red Hat, but it's certainly easy in SuSE.

Build your own RPM from one of the SRPMs out there and qmail will work fine.

> > Footprint: Is it easy to weed out unused system components to have a
> > smaller footprint of the OS? Or does that mean fighting the installer
> > left and right?
>
> I don't know if Red Hat is getting any better, but I've always found it
> difficult to do a "minimal" install.  SuSE has options for a very
> minimal install which is what I use for server installs.

We created our own comps file for our custom configs.

> > perl: Any iussues with perl/modperl? Besides modperl I will be running a
> > perl application with a few hundred thousend lines of code...
>
> My current project: http://www.better-investing.org
>
> runs on Red Hat.  I'm not aware of any perl/mod_perl issues, but I built
> perl and the apache binaries myself.  I don't use their RPMs.

I use a mix of RedHat RPMS, my own RPMs and other people's RPMs.  My perl and
apache RPMs are all currently from Mandrake.  (I seem to be gradually
migrating towards Mandrake.)

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/