Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Paul Sutton <pa...@c2.net> on 1998/03/30 18:26:22 UTC

gen_* programs on Win32

I've committed a change to make building work on Win32 again. Just to
explain: we need to build gen_uri_delims and gen_test_char programs, and
run them to create uri_delims.h and test_char.h. On Unix this is very easy
and elegant, since dependencies can be setup to build the program if
needed then make the header if needed.

On Windows this isn't really possible (you can add custom build steps, but
they aren't powerful enough, and you can add dependencies but only from
pre-existing files). So this is now done by adding to new projects:
gen_uri_delims.{dsp,mak} and gen_test_char.{dsp,mak}. These are in
src/main (to be consistent with Unix, which builds them in this dir). The
object files are created in a sub dir (gen_uri_delim_D, etc). Then the
executable placed in main itself (again, for Unix consisency). Then these
projects include a post-build step to run the program to create the
appropriate header files.

So, these makefiles need running before the main ApacheCore makefile is
run. In the same way we (on Windows) need to remember to run makefiles in
os/win32, ap, regex, etc, before running ApacheCore.mak. Makefile.nt is
updated to do this in the correct order.

Paul

Re: gen_* programs on Win32

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Yuck.  So you have to do it manually each time?  I'm sorry... I know nmake
> itself is capable of all that unix make is capable of.  But I guess the
> stupid GUI gets in the way.  Yuck.

Nah - we could make it do it only when needed in the handwritten
Makefile (src/makefile.nt). At least I'm 90% sure we can.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: gen_* programs on Win32

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
Yuck.  So you have to do it manually each time?  I'm sorry... I know nmake
itself is capable of all that unix make is capable of.  But I guess the
stupid GUI gets in the way.  Yuck.

Dean