Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2010/03/21 00:34:36 UTC

Re: Apache OODT-15: One trunk for all OODT components with top level build

Hey Justin,

Thanks for the advice. On the next one of these types of things, we'll do a [PROPOSAL] first, then wait a few days, and see what people think, and then move to JIRA after that, reff'ing the mail archives as you suggested. Personally I'm a fan of more JIRA issues than not, but I understand that's a preference thing so qualms there.

Brian did mention he'd wait a few days for discussion, so I think we're good in that regard. If folks have any objections or issues, please voice them over the next few days.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

On 3/19/10 11:30 PM, "Justin Erenkrantz" <ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> +1 from me. I think it's a good reorg, and we should move towards a single source release artifact under 1 trunk, with sync'ed versions...

My suggestion is that rather than putting things like this in the
JIRA, I'd bring the proposal to the list instead.

I'm not personally a big fan of every commit needing to be associated
with a JIRA, yet for something like OODT-15, I think that's a proposal
that should be discussed on-list first and if the community feels like
a JIRA is needed, then it can be filed after the discussion on-list
(w/a pointer to the relevant discussion mail archives).

Cheers.  -- justin

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: Apache OODT-15: One trunk for all OODT components with top level build

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J)
<ch...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hey Justin,
>
> Thanks for the advice. On the next one of these types of things, we'll do a [PROPOSAL] first, then wait a few days, and see what people think, and then move to JIRA after that, reff'ing the mail archives as you suggested. Personally I'm a fan of more JIRA issues than not, but I understand that's a preference thing so qualms there.

Yah, JIRA is fine to capture the takeaway and resulting items from a
discussion - but it's not really a good place for 'discussion'.

Here is Subversion's guidelines for the issue tracker:

http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/issues.html

In Subversion, larger work-items tend to appear in the issue tracker,
but more as a supplement to the lists.

> Brian did mention he'd wait a few days for discussion, so I think we're good in that regard. If folks have any objections or issues, please voice them over the next few days.

Aye.

HTH.  -- justin