Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/01/03 21:59:27 UTC

METRON-648 GrokWebSphereParserTest and BasicAsaParserTest are not 2017-safe

Hi all,
As described in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-648 , these two test modules are not year-safe, and are suddenly (as of 2017) giving false Travis errors.

I can fix it quickly, but a question for the “owners” of GrokParser:  Do you have an opinion as to whether the fix should be done by adding "2016" to the testString values in the GrokWebSphereParserTest test module (easy, and only affects the test module), vs making GrokParser use a Clock object set to 2016 (more involved, and affecting core code, but allowing for more interesting testing)?

For those interested, BasicAsaParserTest::testShortTimestamp() illustrates the use of Clock object in the Asa Parser and its test module.

Thanks,
--Matt

Re: METRON-648 GrokWebSphereParserTest and BasicAsaParserTest are not 2017-safe

Posted by Justin Leet <ju...@gmail.com>.
This should be taken care of now that https://github.com/
apache/incubator-metron/pull/412 is merged into Apache master.

The follow-on Jira for handling dates without years as seen in the
GrokWebSphereParser is at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/METRON-649.

Justin

Posted by Kyle Richardson <ky...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.

--
Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>

Re: METRON-648 GrokWebSphereParserTest and BasicAsaParserTest are not 2017-safe

Posted by Michael Miklavcic <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Justin Leet <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kyle Richardson <ky...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Miklavcic <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kyle Richardson <ky...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. I prefer the quick win to get us back to successful builds.

I do think it's worth a general discussion around how we want to handle the parsing of string dates with no year. In the long run, Matt's suggestion of incorporating the Clock object is probably the route to go; albeit as a separate enhancement PR.

Posted by David Lyle <dl...@gmail.com>.