Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2009/10/08 13:13:02 UTC

Beta 1 ?

I suggest that we consider wrapping up the current release cycle,
release 3.0B1 and go into a runtime new feature freeze associated with
the Beta part of the cycle.

We had a burst of new development activity in the past couple of
weeks, which is awesome, and I don't want to get in its way with the
feature freeze, but let's see what issues we have left, and see which
ones are actually being worked on:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310903&created%3Aprevious=-3w&status=1&status=3&sorter/field=created&sorter/order=DESC

CAY-1282: I think this is close to completion by Evgeny, and is a very
nice addition that I'd love to see in Cayenne.
CAY-1287: IMO the only thing that is needed there is docs improvement,
so not a subject to code freeze.
CAY-1283: In progress (or is it finished?)
CAY-1280: An idea of overrides for SQLTemplates. I think Evgeny is
also planning to work on it in the near term.
CAY-1284, CAY-1288: Not sure if Michael plans an immediate action on
those?

So unless Michael and Evgeny ask for more time to finish CAY-1280,
CAY-1284, CAY-1288, I suggest that we have a preliminary B1 tag date
set to 2 weeks from now - October 22. By then we'll see how we are
doing with the remaining tasks, and make a decision.

Finally, I think Beta should go into a stable branch, and then trunk
can be immediately open for 3.1 commits without affecting the Beta.
But then of course we need to keep trunk in sync with Beta bug fixes
and Modeler changes, which IMO not a big deal, just something to keep
in mind.

Andrus

Re: Beta 1 ?

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
CAY-1283: The code is checked in, but I haven't updated the
documentation yet to show using the enums instead of booleans.  I
probably need to test the code a bit more, too, but at least people
can see it now.

CAY-1284: That doesn't involve an API change and wouldn't interfere
with a beta release.  It is also fairly low priority, I think.

CAY-1288: I think I've finished the code, but it isn't checked in yet.
 I wanted to look over it one more time.

mrg

Re: Beta 1 ?

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
I just checked in a few minor code tweaks and updated the
documentation for CAY-1283.  I marked the ticket resolved.  I think it
is done unless it breaks.

Thanks,

mrg

Re: Beta 1 ?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Milestone releases had lots of unfinished *new* functionality, as we
only guaranteed that the *existing* functionality is working. Same
thing here, only the scope of unfinished functionality is limited to
the Modeler. We define what Milestone vs. Beta vs. RC means, and
historically the meaning has been what I just mentioned. Don't see any
problem with this approach going forward, as long as we explain the
rules to the users.

Also the downside of NOT declaring Beta until we reach some ideal
state throughout the board, is that the feature creep will continue,
and it will be hard to stop it.

Andrus

Re: Beta 1 ?

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Beta 1 ?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Oct 8, 2009, at 2:38 PM, Andrey Razumovsky wrote:

> It shows CAY-1239

I am ready to sacrifice this one.

> CAY-1276 on the way to Beta1. And, we'll have to

Yeah, need to finish that. I will chat Olga - hopefully we can do it.

> finish CAY-1191 which is Undo/Redo to be able to release 3.0B1.

Traditionally we don't freeze the Modeler in Beta, as officially
Modeler code is a black box to the users. It is frozen for stability
reasons at the next stage - RC (release candidate), so this one won't
get in the way. CAY-1260 is another Modeler issue that I just
reclassified as 3.0, since it is almost done, but may not be finished
by B1.

Andrus

Re: Beta 1 ?

Posted by Andrey Razumovsky <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Also see this list:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseVersion.jspa?id=12310903&versionId=12313971&showOpenIssuesOnly=true

It shows CAY-1239 and CAY-1276 on the way to Beta1. And, we'll have to

--
Andrey

Re: Beta 1 ?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Oct 8, 2009, at 4:51 PM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:

>  Can I suggest that all tasks be moved out of 3.0 and into 3.0 beta
> 1 or into 3.1 as appropriate.

+1

> Ideally 3.0 is reserved for tasks which are bugs found in beta 1.

Also unfinished Modeler tasks that are not bugs.

Andrus

Re: Beta 1 ?

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 8/10/09 10:13 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> I suggest that we consider wrapping up the current release cycle,
> release 3.0B1 and go into a runtime new feature freeze associated with
> the Beta part of the cycle.

I've just created 3.1 in Jira so we can move some tasks out of 3.0. Can I suggest that all tasks be moved out of 3.0 and into 3.0 beta 1 or into 3.1 as appropriate. Ideally 3.0 is reserved for tasks which are bugs found in beta 1.

Also, a decision needs to be made about CAY-942. I can't see the exact thread right now, but we need to finalise the generification of the query function. We discussed this a while ago and there were as many opinions as people in the conversation, but I think Andrus had some ideas he wanted to pursue. Since we've already asked users to move to generics, it would be polite to only have them adjust their code once.

Ari

--

Aristedes Maniatis