Posted to dev@crunch.apache.org by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> on 2013/03/30 10:13:42 UTC

Building trouble

Hi,

I've got weird and potentially embarrassing build problems :)

$ rm -r ~/.m2/repository
$ git clone https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/crunch.git
$ cd crunch
$ mvn install
[...]
[ERROR]
/tmp/crunch/crunch/src/main/java/org/apache/crunch/lib/sort/Comparators.java:[95,54]
cannot find symbol
[ERROR] symbol  : class WritableComparator
[ERROR] location: class org.apache.crunch.lib.sort.Comparators
[...]
$

Obviously, WritableComparator is there, both in Hadoop 1 and 2 and
nobody touched dependencies in a while. I'm using Maven 3.0.4 and
Oracle JDK 1.6.0_33 which worked before.

This popped up suddenly, probably around the time when I deleted my m2
cache for some reason (Jenkins is still happy, perhaps because we
don't clear the m2 cache). Older versions (before e20cbf08) worked
fine. Does this look familiar to anyone?

Thanks,
  Matthias

Re: Building trouble

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.
Hi Christian,

On Sunday, 2013-03-31, Christian Tzolov wrote:
> Annoying indeed. Issues like this can bend your mind until a
> plausible explanation is found :)

Yeah. But now I'm home again at my usual development machine and
there it works with no problems at all. Except for one machine
the build works everywhere else I tried. Anyway, doesn't matter
now, I'm back in business :)

> Could it be related to some hidden/obsolete M2_OPTS/MAVEN_OPTS
> configurations.

Nope, I had set up an new user and checked that the environment was
clear. I also uninstalled all other Java versions from the machine.
Still no luck.

Regards,
  Matthias

Re: Building trouble

Posted by Christian Tzolov <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthias,

Annoying indeed. Issues like this can bend your mind until a
plausible explanation is found :)
Could it be related to some hidden/obsolete M2_OPTS/MAVEN_OPTS
configurations.

Chris

Re: Building trouble

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.