Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/07/11 16:06:28 UTC

[WARNING] Compatibility warning

The new pluggable pipelines are pretty cool, but the fact that they are
now declared in <map:components/> is not backwards compatible!  In order
to be able to reuse existing sitemaps, we must provide a reasonable
default
if that section is missing.

A pipeline is not like a selector or actions in that we can live without
them if our sitemap doesn't need them.  A pipeline is a central piece of
Cocoon, and we must have a default.

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin

Re: [WARNING] Compatibility warning

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> The new pluggable pipelines are pretty cool, but the fact that they are
> now declared in <map:components/> is not backwards compatible!  In order
> to be able to reuse existing sitemaps, we must provide a reasonable
> default
> if that section is missing.

Or change the version number in the sitemap namespace when changes are
backward incompatible. Stefano suggested doing so for the flow extension
(which is going into 2.1 IIRC).

> A pipeline is not like a selector or actions in that we can live without
> them if our sitemap doesn't need them.  A pipeline is a central piece of
> Cocoon, and we must have a default.

Absolutely. I'd rather suggest the pipeline element does know of them
explicitely (know about those different pipeline implementations somehow)
rather than defining them in the sitemap. Should we be aware of a
infinite number of pipeline implementations? Those mentioned should be
enought, isn't it.

Giacomo