Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Keith Pope <ke...@inflightproductions.com> on 2010/11/30 13:13:22 UTC

Failover setup (is this a bad idea)

Hi,

I have a windows cluster that I would like to install Solr onto, there
are two nodes that provide basic failover. I was thinking of this setup:

Tomcat installed as win service
Two solr instances sharing the same index

The second instance would take over when the first fails, so you should
never get two writes/reads at once.

Is this a bad idea? Would I end up corrupting my index?

Thx

Keith

-----------------------------
Registered Office: 15 Stukeley Street, London WC2B 5LT, England.
Registered in England number 1421223

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, proprietary, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of the email by you is prohibited. Please note that the information provided in this e-mail is in any case not legally binding; all committing statements require legally binding signatures.

http://www.inflightproductions.com

Re: Failover setup (is this a bad idea)

Posted by robo - <ro...@gmail.com>.
I agree with the Master with multiple slaves setup.  Very easy using
the built-in java setup in 1.4.1.  When we set this up it made our
developers think about how we were writing to Solr.  We were using a
Delta Import Handler (DIH?) for most writes but our app was also
writing 'deletes' directly to Solr.  Since we wanted to load balance
the Slaves we couldn't have the app writing to the Slaves.  Once we
discussed the Master/Slave setup with our developers we found all
areas where we were writing in our app and moved/centralized those
into the DIH. Now the app only does queries against the load balanced
slaves while the Master is used for DIH and backups only.

Thanks,

robo

Posted by Jayendra Patil <ja...@gmail.com>.